upgrading bios for WinXP SP2 install

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Jeff Gillan, Oct 2, 2004.

  1. Jeff Gillan

    David Casey Guest

    No, I jumped into the thread to point out your asking what the deal was
    with name calling and then pointing out where you, in the same post, called
    someone a name. ;-)
    No, I don't present myself as anything other than an experience computer
    user. I've been messing with computers since Apple II's were out. I'm by
    far not an expert, but when someone asks a question in here sometimes I
    might have an answer *based on my experiences*.

    Of course I use Google to find answers to my questions and sometimes to
    others, any computer user with a problem would be stupid not to! Google
    goes back to the 1980's so there is a wealth of information there. You can
    safely say, if you have a problem chances are someone else did too and they
    asked their question somewhere on Usenet.

    As for presenting what I find on Google as my experiences that's wrong. If
    you bother to look at some of my past posts, you'll notice I usually try
    and send the poster with a question a message by saying something like,
    "Yahoo! is your friend!" or "Google is your friend!" followed by a link to
    what I found on their problem/question. Do try and pay attention.
    I don't claim to be support, I just answer questions based on my own
    experiences.
    Yes, I can see you are woefully unprepared for any of this. You should
    just unsubscribe. ;-)
    Some say flash it no matter what, others say don't flash it unless you have
    a problem or the BIOS will add some feature you want/need.

    Once more, I fail to see why you and others have such a problem with a
    different opinion of others.
    I don't think I ever said that. Care to point it out?
    I do know about my computers. Don't you know about yours?

    I fail to see the point of the above since I didn't say 99.9% of that and I
    *never* said upgrading the BIOS will "fry your computer. Period."

    Do you always put words into the mouths of people you're trying to flame?
    Typical tactic of the weak.
    Where did you get this Google thing from?
    Huh? You're going from crying about upgrading the BIOS and how someone
    else might have a different opinion about it to SP2 and Prescott?

    Don't get mad now, it's just Usenet! Sheesh!

    BTW, if you don't like what I have to say, don't read it! I'll let you
    have the last word here. Have a nice day! :)

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    David Casey, Oct 6, 2004

  2. Jeff Gillan

    David Casey Guest

    Now check out his friend Brian. What's up with those two? I guess they
    just can't handle the fact some folks like to determine on their own what
    is best for their system.

    Dave
    Damn, hope they don't find out I searched Google to come up with the above
    post. *yawn*

    David Casey, Oct 6, 2004

  3. Jeff Gillan

    S.Lewis Guest

    I google all of the time, to the point that I had to get glasses. I am no
    surreptitious googler. I would google wirelessly in the streets if I had the
    ability.

    Everyone should google at least now and then. No engineer or technician
    knows it all, or even close.

    With regards to the Prescott/SP2 issue, I just plain had no idea. I don't
    have that chip, and I've not run across a machine with it to make that
    mistake (yet). I was personally glad to get the (helpful) heads
    up/information from this group.

    In the scores of machines I've handled, I've seen perhaps only one half
    dozen bad BIOS flashes that killed the mainboard. That's hardly a 'chicken
    little', 'hair on fire' number of systems, but sufficient in the end result
    to warrant a respectful amount of caution.

    I've a Sony VAIO here right now with a BIOS error at pre-POST, showing
    between the drive information and the PCI/IRQ tables at boot. The error
    does NOT hang the system or cause any *functional* issues with the machine.
    The error?:

    "BIOS update data incorrect" "CPUID = 00000F29".

    A quick google shows that this is not an uncommon error on Asustek
    motherboards with mid-2GHz Northwood processors. Lo and behold, another
    check reveals the system board in this Sony to be made by ASUS. Additional
    searches show that a BIOS flash corrects the error message in some machines
    and does not in others.

    The machine is out of warranty and was brought to me for software issues
    caused by the end user. Now, should I flash it or not?

    No way in hell I'm flashing it. The risk of buying this gentleman a new
    motherboard over a flash that may or may not correct the small message would
    be dumb in my estimation. The machine is running perfectly after repair,
    passes all diagnostics and is ready to go.

    The end user has not even noticed the error, and I will be sure to discuss
    it with him when the PC is delivered.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Oct 6, 2004
  4. Jeff Gillan

    Brian Guest

    Actually, no, you misread. I asked why the name calling then explained
    that if that's the language of the land, I would switch. ;-P

    As you've pointed this out twice and I haven't replied, you think this
    is a trump card. It's me ignoring you derailing the thread.
    You fried your Apple II by flashing the BIOS? How is that even relevant
    experience? Want some advice? Remove Apple II from your resume or face being
    forced into realty after the 20 years (if your signature is accurate).
    I've mostly seen some army corp signatures.
    Nah, I'm just warming up.

    You want to know why outsourcing is a good thing? It gets rid of the
    bottom feeders. Any novice user can just as easily get the same advice
    with a search engine ... anywhere on the globe.

    If you are in the corps, prepare for a shock when you get out. You're
    going to compete with the bottom feeders plus the upper echelon. Realty
    never looked so good.

    Since I'm compared to Ron so much, I'll make a few comments. First,
    Ron has a terrible bedside manner. He reduces himself to name calling
    far too quickly. He discredits himself in the process. But he's
    intelligent. If people can't recognize that, in spite of personalty
    quirks, ??? What can be said? He's a bit reactive and I think this
    shuts people down completely. I don't think it's his problem tho.

    When he said that the BIOS could program microcode, I cried bullshit at
    first. Microcode is so intrinsic and buried in CPU design that there
    is no way it could be modified once the chip was manufactured. This is
    what I believe because it seems inline with comp eng degree from '92.
    I fabricated a TI learning board with a assembly instruction set
    based on microcode which in turn controlled all the muxes, ALUs,
    busses, etc. So anyway, I'm about to flame the crap out of Ron. And
    then the seed of doubt that I possess (which is woefully missing in
    this newsgroup) said, hey, check it out. I did. Now, you can't
    really modify the microcode. But there is an exchange of stepping
    to the CPU. Wow. That's pretty wild. So what's SP2 have to do
    with all of this? Well, I dunno yet. It must invoke some BIOS
    trap to exchange information a second time, which messes up the
    stepping. I'm not particularly invested in finding out. But Ron's
    was the only intelligent discussion in the thread that I saw thus far.

    Everyone else is too busy getting panties bunched up to stop and
    consider some unorthodox (possibly kooky) post and expand on their
    own "expertise" - or lack thereof.
    I don't. I'm not sure why YOU picked up on the thread written by C
    Lewis. Is it safe to assume you're a complete dogmatic prick as
    well? Yes.

    I'm moderate. Follow the advice Dell gives. They don't say to
    flash it no matter what. They say to flash it before installing
    SP2. Please keep up.
    "To recap the entire thread" is up above. It implicates the thread itself, not
    an individual poster. Perhaps you'd like to take remedial English? :)
    All the way back to the Apple II. Yes. You are quite the expert and much
    more knowledgable than the manufacturers. If this works for you, fine. I
    don't recall telling you to take any action.
    Again, that remedial English class is just a phone call away.
    Again, that remedial English class is just a phone call away.
    You too. :)

    Brian, Oct 6, 2004
  5. Jeff Gillan

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Hire professional help.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 6, 2004
  6. Jeff Gillan

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Always flash the latest mobo BIOS but do it carefully.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 6, 2004
  7. Jeff Gillan

    Sparky Guest

    Rookie!

    <what a dork>

    Sparky, Oct 7, 2004
  8. Jeff Gillan

    Stubby Guest

    No. I don't want to, I don't need to, and anything you say will not persuade
    me that it is neccesary.

    As with all software, firmware and hardware, I will only upgrade my stuff,
    or my employers, when there is a problem with the old stuff, or when the
    upgrade has a distinct advantage.

    Don't tell me how to maintain my systems. I know better than any so-called
    experts what they need.

    Stubby, Oct 7, 2004
  9. Jeff Gillan

    David Casey Guest

    But don't you know? If you don't upgrade your BIOS with every new version
    that Dell commands you to your motherboard will be inoperable within a
    week!

    And don't say you don't have any problems, because problems you (and your
    OS) can't see are there unless you upgrade your BIOS!!

    Get on it folks!

    Dave
    Posting from his 8400 using the A01 BIOS and yet the computer *still
    works*! <gasp!>

    David Casey, Oct 7, 2004
  10. Jeff Gillan

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Another newbee exposes himself.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 7, 2004
  11. Jeff Gillan

    Jan Guest

    While on this subject, I have what is probably a dumb question.

    If one updates their BIOS and then reformats and does a re-install of
    the OS, does that revert the BIOS back or does it stay updated? TIA.

    Jan, Oct 7, 2004
  12. Jeff Gillan

    S.Lewis Guest

    The BIOS version remains unchanged. The BIOS information is stored in the
    CMOS chip on the mainboard and is unrelated to your hard disk.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Oct 7, 2004
  13. Jeff Gillan

    Sparky Guest

    No, the BIOS is independent of the OS & HDD and is non-volatile.

    Sparky, Oct 8, 2004