Upgrading BIOS without having a CPU installed

Discussion in 'Asus' started by hanness, Feb 27, 2021.

  1. hanness

    hanness

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2021
    I'm about to build a new system based upon an ASUS Prime Z590-A motherboard and an 11th Gen Intel Rocket Lake CPU (once available).

    I already have the motherboard.

    After purchasing the motherboard, I got this nagging feeling in the back of head...

    I recall that many years ago I purchased a motherboard and a CPU but the new CPU would not work in the motherboard until a BIOS update was performed. I ended up having to buy a cheap previous gen Celeron processor just so I could update the BIOS to accommodate the new CPU.

    I know, or at least strongly suspect, that I will need a BIOS update in order to support the new 11th gen Intel Rocket Lake CPUs on this MB. So the question now is this:

    Will it be possible for me to upgrade the BIOS to support the 11th Gen CPUs without the need to first install a 10th gen CPU?

    In trying to research this, it looks like some ASUS motherboards had a feature called "flashback" that would allow a BIOS update without having a CPU installed. Looking at the documentation for my motherboard, I see no such feature listed, but there is an "ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3" feature which sounds like it may possibly be a newer version of this same feature.

    Does anyone have any experience with this on fairly recent ASUS motherboards?

    hanness, Feb 27, 2021