    I tried upgrading the firmware, but the updater said my firmware is
    already up to date. I also tried resetting the PRAM. I'd be grateful
    for any suggestions. Thanks!

    Stoneline, Mar 13, 2006

  2. When that happened to me (also on a b&w) the problem turned out to be RAM which always worked fine in 9.2.2 but not at all in Panther. I replaced RAM one at a time til the culprit was found, no problem since.

    b_of_e

    bride_of_excession, Mar 13, 2006

  3. Stoneline

    Stoneline Guest

    That didn't solve the problem, but thanks for the suggestion!

    Stoneline, Mar 13, 2006
  4. Stoneline

    Clark Martin Guest

    How much RAM do you have? 128 Mb is the minimum supported and from
    experience it does work.

    Also, check your battery. If it's gone the PRAM contents might be
    holding the setting to go to the CD.

    Do you have a retail version of Panther or an installer for some other
    Mac?

    Clark Martin, Mar 13, 2006
  5. Stoneline

    G. Isenhart Guest

    is that the original factory CD/DVD drive? if so... make sure the
    jumpers haven't been changed from the factory default... if not, you
    might just want to pull the HD out of the G3/BW do the install on a
    different machine, then put the Drive back. those machines really are
    "pre osx", so they are flaky.

    G. Isenhart, Mar 14, 2006
  6. Stoneline

    Stoneline Guest

    It had two @ 128 Mb , I removed one and added 3 @ 256 to make 896 Mb
    total.

    I have the retail version of Panther, not the install disks for another
    Mac. (well, I have those too, but I'm trying to install a retail
    version on this one.)

    how do I check the battery? thanks!

    Stoneline, Mar 14, 2006
  7. Stoneline

    Stoneline Guest

    how do I check the jumpers on the CD drive? Is it possible to do the
    install over a network with the CD in another computer, so I wouldn't
    have to remove the drive? thanks!

    Stoneline, Mar 14, 2006