Upgrading CPU from 133 to 300 MHz, what are multiplier, system speed?

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Tibur Waltson, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. How do we determine the multiplier? I have installed an AMD K6-
    300 MHz from a 2256 presario into a 5304 presario- 133 MHz.
    When I go to turn the computer on - nothing happens, just a blank
    screen, except for a blinking cursor. I've located most of the infor-
    mation but unsure about two things. How do we determine the
    multiplier and system speed: SDRAM, CPU or PCI? Here, take a
    look at this jumpers and switches table and see if you can help me.

    http://tinyurl.com/2zyvx

    One person claimed to have secessfully installed a K6-2-450AFX
    into 5304 presario. See bottom.

    CPU Technical data:
    Processor model K6-2-300AFR
    Core Voltage = 2.2V (2.1V~2.3V)
    Core Voltage Upper Limit = 2.5V
    I/O Voltage = 3.3V (3.135V~3.6V)
    I/O Voltage Upper Limit = 3.6V
    Maximum Core Amperage = 8.45A
    Maximum I/O Amperage = 0.56A
    Typical Power Dissipation = 10.35W
    Maximum Power Dissipation = 17.2W
    Max. Case Temp.= 70° C
    Serial = 9822FPCW
    Copyright = 1998

    Mother Board data:
    Gigabyte GA-5SMM

    "K6-2-450AFX installed into presario 5304, GA-5SMM
    full story http://tinyurl.com/2c9wt

    Front Side Bus Switch 1 (system speed)
    1on,2on,3off,4off

    Switch 2 multiplier x4.5
    1on,2on,3on

    voltage 2.4v
    4off,5off,6on,7off,8off"

    Tibur Waltson, Feb 3, 2004

  2. Tibur Waltson

    nut cracker Guest

    I thought that was a 66Mhz (bus speed) chip... if so, divide the chip speed
    by the bus speed to get your multiplier.

    For example, 300/66= 5 .

    Your memory should also be running at the bus speed. PC66 would run at
    66Mhz, PC100 at 100Mhz, etc etc. This hold true until you start getting
    exotic with things like DDR and Rambus and stuff. Definitely not something
    you need to worry about with this machine.

    Hope that helps.

    NuTs

    nut cracker, Feb 3, 2004

  3. Tibur Waltson

    HH Guest

    The 5304 came with a Cyrix MII 366 Processor running on a 100MHz processor
    bus at 2.9 volts. A K6/300 on a 66MHz bus would likely be slower than the
    original processor, not faster. The board should take up to a K6/2 450 which
    would be an upgrade instead of a downgrade.
    HH

    HH, Feb 3, 2004
  4. Let's summarize. My 5304 motherboard likely runs on 66Mhz.
    So, if I install a K6/300 it would likely be slower than if I would to
    install a K6/2 450 or K6/2 550. How do I know if my computer
    is PC66 or PC100?

    Question. If I were to attempt to install a K6/300 right now, are
    these switches correct? If not will I fry something?

    Switch 1 Front Side Bus (system speed) CPU100, SDRAM100, PCI33.
    1on,2on,3off,4off

    Switch 2 multiplier x4.5 or 300/66= 4.5
    1on,2on,3on

    Switch 2 voltage 2.2v
    4off,5on,6off,7off,8off"

    Thanks,
    Tibur

    Tibur Waltson, Feb 4, 2004
  5. Tibur Waltson

    HH Guest

    1. With the pre-installed MII, your motherboard was running a 100MHz
    processor bus.
    2. With a 100MHz bus PC100 memory is used.
    3. With the K6/300 switch 1 needs to be set to 1 on, 2 on, 3 on, 4 off. The
    multiplier looks OK as does the voltage.
    4. However, it will be slower than the MII, so don't bother with the plain
    K6/300. Use a K6/2 450. Then use Switch 1 (1 on, 2 on, 3 off, 4 off), switch
    2 (1 on, 2 on, 3 on) and the proper voltage setting on switch 2 (4 off, 5
    off, 6 on, 7 off, 8 off).
    5 A 500 or 550 also could be used with the proper voltage and multiplier
    settings. Axion technologies, http://www.axiontech.com has K62/500 OEMs for
    $18.

    HH

    HH, Feb 4, 2004
  6. Tibur Waltson

    the yeti Guest

    Off the top of my head.....

    ....dosn't a Cyrex processor run at a weird FSB speed, like 83MHZ or
    some odd thing like that?

    the yeti, Feb 4, 2004
  7. Tibur Waltson

    nut cracker Guest

    I answered your memory question in my first post.

    get WCPUID
    (http://wreck.dnsplus.net/archive/Over Clocking - Mods/wcpuid/wcpu30f.
    exe)

    This will tell you your chip speed, system bus, mulitplier... all kinds of
    things.

    Your memory runs at the speed of the bus. If your bus is 66, your memory is
    PC66. if you bus is 100, your memory is PC100.

    No upgrade at this point is going to give you earthshattering results.

    If your system IS a 66Mhz model, just get a new machine. the time and money
    you will put into it will not be a worthwile return on the investment.

    You can get a barebones P4 celeron combo from places like FRY's electronics
    for less than $200, and you can transplant most of your componentes form the
    computer you have into it.

    NuTs

    nut cracker, Feb 4, 2004