Upgrading Dell Studio XPS 8000 Desktops' 3 GB to more with only one free memory slot #4.

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ant, Apr 26, 2011.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hello.

    Others and I would like to add more free memory to our Dell Studio XPS
    8000 Desktops (manufactured on 2009-11-14) that currently have 3 GB of
    RAM and 64-bit Windows 7 HP. Will adding 1, 2, or 4 (most likely) GB be
    any problems from Dell's memory upgrades as shown on
    http://search.dell.com/results.aspx...ra=False&~srd=False&ipsys=False&advsrch=False
    ? This would be added to the current 3 GB into the empty memory slot #4.
    I read a forum thread that people had problems seeing all the installed
    RAM and had to replace motherboards/mobos., swap memories, etc.

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    Quote of the Week: "The foreign policy aim of ants can be summed up as
    follows: restless aggression, territorial conquest, and genocidal

    Ant, Apr 26, 2011

  2. Ant

    Ant Guest

    No feedbacks?

    FYI on my current PC's hardware setup from hwinfo32 v3.73:
    http://pastie.org/private/hv3zdo6zwkfkh4daydm30w and
    http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/32d4c8e806.gif ... I am using
    whatever settings that I got from this PC back in end of 2009.

    --
    Quote of the Week: "When I was five years old, I saw an insect that had
    been eaten by ants and of which nothing remained except the shell.

    Ant, May 2, 2011

  3. Ant

    Joe M Guest

    "Ant" wrote in message

    --

    It is my understanding that RAM works best in matched pairs.
    For the money, I would shop at a place like www.crucial.com where 2 x 4Gb

    Joe M, May 3, 2011
  4. Ant

    Ben Myers Guest

    Its not even a matter of "works best." Modern motherboards with a
    setup of 4 memory slots (DDR2 or DDR3) pretty much demand it. In my
    experience, the matching must be exact for reliable operation. Same
    brand. Same timing. Same part number, namely the string of letters,
    numbers and hyphens marked on the label. Different manufacturing
    dates are OK.

    I have tried apparently matched memory, i.e. same technical specs,
    from different manufacturers with often unpleasant results like
    beeping during POST or failures running a version of MEMTEST-86... Ben
    Myers

    Ben Myers, May 3, 2011
  5. Ant

    Ant Guest

    That sucks. So we will have toss my current three 1 GB and buy new ones?
    Ugh. Maybe I could give my one GB pices to my co-workers if they only
    need 4 GB of RAM to fill their slot #4s. Does it going from 3 to 4 GB
    make big differences in 64-bit Windows 7 HP with VMware Workstations
    v7.x (32-bit XP to 64-bit W7)? And yes, we do heavy multitasking with
    other programs like Outlook 2007, web browsers, etc.
    --
    "Really. And do these lions eat ants?" --John Cleese in Monty Python's
    Flying Circus

    Ant, May 4, 2011
  6. Ant

    Ben Myers Guest

    I'm assuming that at least two of the three 1GB sticks in the system
    now are an exact match. You could always find an exact match for the
    3rd one, and end up with 4GB.

    The caveats about exact matching memory are best summarized as
    follows: if you install memory in non-matched pairs, a system may
    work reliably. Or it may not. if it does not, well, that's what
    hapens when one disregards a caveat.

    Then there was Dick Caveat who competed against Johnny Carson for late
    night prominence.

    And, yes, 1GB more of memory can definitely make a difference with the
    workload you describe. But, seriously, why stop at 4GB with 64-bit
    Windows? Go for 8GB, which makes for a mighty smooth running system
    under most conditions.. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 4, 2011
  7. Ant

    Ant Guest

    FYI on my current PC's hardware setup from hwinfo32 v3.73:
    http://pastie.org/private/hv3zdo6zwkfkh4daydm30w and
    http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/32d4c8e806.gif ... I am using
    whatever parts and settings that I got from this PC back in end of 2009.

    I was hoping I can keep my old three 1 GB of RAM and add 4 GB to it to
    make it 7 GB in total. :/
    --
    "The evaluator counts the ants at the picnic of progress." --Mohan Singh

    Ant, May 6, 2011
  8. Ant

    Ben Myers Guest

    Not sure if 4GB+3x1GB will work. Only way to find out is to try it.
    Also, check whatever specs Dell has for the beast on its web site.
    2x4GB + 2x1GB would be nice... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 6, 2011
  9. Ant

    Ant Guest

    I'm assuming that at least two of the three 1GB sticks in the system
    I wasn't able to find web pages about the memory configurations. I did
    ask in its forum a while ago. According a Dell guy in my
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19375348/19863172.aspx
    forum post/thread, I cannot use 2 or 4 GB into the fourth slot due to
    incompatibilies:

    "So you currently have three 1GB sticks in there? If yes, adding an
    identical 1GB stick into slot 4 will work. The only configurations using
    4GB sticks are as follows -
    Slot 1 4GB, Slot 2 4GB = 8GB

    Slot 1 4GB, Slot 2 4GB, Slot 3 2GB, Slot 4 2GB = 12GB

    Slot 1 4GB, Slot 2 4GB, Slot 3 4GB, Slot 4 4GB = 16GB"

    Why is that?

    http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/compatible-memory-for/Dell/Studio+XPS+8000/list.html

    Ant, May 7, 2011
  10. Ant

    Ant Guest

    I'm assuming that at least two of the three 1GB sticks in the system
    I am confused with the memory timings. I noticed our current RAM use
    PC3-8500F (533 Mhz). Does this mean I only can order these Crucial
    brands: http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=B46C7C5FA5CA7304
    that are DDR3 PC3-8500? That's the only Crucial brand option is for two
    2 GB so I would only be able to max out at 8 GB total with four pieces
    for each memory slot. So, that's about $191.96 per person. Does this
    sound right? Or can I use other memory speeds? I am not a hardware
    expert. ;)
    --
    Quote of the Week: "You'd think we could just attract ants like normal
    people." --Wolverine (X-Men:TAS)

    Ant, May 11, 2011
  11. Ant

    Ben Myers Guest

    The general rule of thumb is that you can use memory of the same type
    (e.g. DDR3) with a faster rating. Memory is a passive device that
    takes its clocking from the motherboard, so faster memory is
    "underclocked", or run slower than its maximum rated speed.
    Sometimes, though, there are motherboard design quirks that can cause
    compatibility problems. If you want to try faster memory, make sure
    your seller has a reasonable return policy.

    It is possible that faster memory is less expensive, especially if the
    slower memory is on the way out of production... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 12, 2011
  12. Ant

    Ant Guest

    http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/compatible-memory-for/Dell/Studio+XPS+...
    Ah, so I don't have to buy 8500 speed like my original ones according to
    CPU-Z. It seems like "8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 PC3-10600 ??? CL=9 ??? Unbuffered
    ??? NON-ECC ??? DDR3-1333 ??? 1.5V ??? 512Meg x 64 ??? ??? Part #: CT1029717" is
    the best one to get for 8 GB total memory for $93.99:
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=F4FCAEEFA5CA7304
    from http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=studio+xps+8000
    .... Do you agree?

    I also e-mailed Crucial about RAM and got this reply from Tina: "Thank
    you for contacting us. Please visit the following link for the correct
    RAM upgrade(s) for your system:

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?model=Studio+XPS+8000

    Yes, you should be able to add the additional memory..."

    Same Crucial link I shared earlier.

    Ant, May 12, 2011
  13. Ant

    Ant Guest

    So I got this one -- "8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 PC3-10600 ??? CL=9 ??? Unbuffered
    ??? NON-ECC ??? DDR3-1333 ??? 1.5V ??? 512Meg x 64 Part #: CT1029717" from
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=F4FCAEEFA5CA7304
    .... I removed the old three 1 GB RAMs, and then replaced with the two
    new Crucial RAM. They worked well, but then the last few days I got two
    random blue screens:

    C:\Windows\Minidump\061011-21465-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
    (nt+0x70700)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x5003, 0xFFFFF90000812000, 0x4D7F, 0x81B500009AEE)
    Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management
    error occurred.
    This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption
    happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of
    faulty RAM modules.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is
    caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

    C:\Windows\Minidump\060811-20654-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
    (nt+0x70700)
    Bugcheck code: 0xDE (0x2, 0xFFFFF8A01935C8F0, 0xFFFFF8A01BC29909,
    0x2B2BB8C0)
    Error: POOL_CORRUPTION_IN_FILE_AREA
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    Bug check description: This indicates that a driver has corrupted pool
    memory that is used for holding pages destined for disk.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is
    caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

    I am going to run Memtest86+ v4.20 over the weekend to see if it is
    indeed the bad RAM. I noticed the blue screens happen after doing heavy
    multitasking (VMware Workstation v7.1.4, SeaMonkey v2.0.14, Office 2007,
    etc.) and then doing light works, and then crash.

    Was I supposed to do anything like change CMOS settings after the RAM
    switch? :(
    --
    Quote of the Week: "The sun's just a big glass, we're all ants, I LOVE YOU." --"Magnified" song by the Failure band

    Ant, Jun 10, 2011
  14. Ant

    Ant Guest

    So I got this one -- "8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 PC3-10600 ??? CL=9 ??? Unbuffered
    FYI from the latest hwinfo32 and CPU-Z tools' results if they give clues:
    http://zimage.com/~ant/temp/DellStudioXPS8000new2crucial4GBramsBSoDs.zip
    (will remove/update when needed).

    Ant, Jun 10, 2011
  15. Ant

    Ant Guest

    So I got this one -- "8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 PC3-10600 ??? CL=9 ??? Unbuffered
    Hi again!

    I finally checked on my problematic PC this morning. I ran memtest86+
    v4.20???s heavy stress tests over the whole weekend (almost 63 hours
    nonstop), and it passed over 40/forty times with 0/zero errors! I guess
    it isn???t the new RAM.

    However, I did discover a new(?) problem. I heard soft beeps every
    second when I came in. I discovered it was my old APC UPS Back-UPS RS800
    from 2005-2007 or so. According to plugged in UPS??? blinking colorful
    lights, it said its battery needed to be replaced, power was overloaded
    even if nothing power is connected to this old UPS except its power AC
    to a wall power socket, etc. I don???t know if this is related the recent
    blue screen crashes, but it could be if my PC is stressing and crashing
    after heavy usages. Or maybe its USB connection to monitor power is
    confusing my PC.

    Could my problematic UPS be causing it?

    P.S. Is anyone reading my newsgroup thread? :(
    --
    Quote of the Week: "Don't step on ants... they're people too." --a quote from ANTZ movie.

    Ant, Jun 13, 2011
  16. Ant

    BillW50 Guest

    I am! ;-) And yes a troubled UPS could cause computer problems. Do you
    few comfortable without it for awhile to see if the problem goes away?
    Most of the time those UPS only need a new battery and you are good to
    go again. Although with shipping costs and everything, it is almost
    worthwhile to buy a new UPS. So I dunno, I'd check into it anyway.

    BillW50, Jun 16, 2011
  17. Ant

    RnR Guest

    Usually UPS batteries are good for about 4 to 5 years. I got 5 yrs
    outa 4 of mine last year. I agree the cost of the batteries almost
    equals the cost of a new UPS.

    RnR, Jun 16, 2011
  18. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Yep, I decided to do a trade in for an APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro
    1000 model:
    http://buy.apc.com/commerce/storefr...c1-34192d157f6d}&isource=7&product_id=BR1000G
    .... So far without UPS, my PC is stable but I don't want to declare
    that it is fixed yet. ;) I was surprised an unstable UPS could make my
    PC hang and crash like that.

    Ant, Jun 17, 2011
  19. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Yeah, and who knows how long the old UPS will last with the new
    battery too. Trade-in makes new UPS' cheaper too which I did through
    http://buy.apc.com/commerce/storefr...c1-34192d157f6d}&isource=7&product_id=BR1000G
    .... :)

    Ant, Jun 17, 2011
  20. Yeah, and who knows how long the old UPS will last with the new
    battery too. Trade-in makes new UPS' cheaper too which I did through
    http://buy.apc.com/commerce/storefr...c1-34192d157f6d}&isource=7&product_id=BR1000G
    .... :)

    FYI, the battery for that UPS (the APC BR1000G)
    http://www.apc.com/products/moreimages.cfm?partnum=APCRBC123&aPos=2
    costs $24.50 at Pacific Battery - http://pacificbattery.com/slaspecial.html.
    In my case, my APC UPS, bought in 1999, is still functioning properly
    on a new Yuasa battery which I purchased from Pacific Battery a year ago.
    Unless you want to have some UPS feature that is only available in a new
    UPS, I see no reason not to just replace the battery.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Jun 18, 2011