Upgrading from 9.2 to OS X: Apple apps or 3rd party apps?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by AES/newspost, Nov 10, 2004.

  1. AES/newspost

    AES/newspost Guest

    Finally getting around to upgrading from 9.2 to OS X (Panther)
    and from 500 MHz G3 to 1 GHz G4 iBook.

    Question is: Should I stick with familiar and well-liked 3rd party
    productivity apps (in OS X-upgraded versions) or move to Apple apps?

    I know I'll stick with iView Media Pro rather than iPhoto; and
    the rest of the iLife suite is not of interest.

    But should I stay with Eudora (in latest OS X version),
    or shift to Mail?

    Move to upgraded Now Contact (which I've always liked just fine),
    or shift to Address Book?

    Adobe Acrobat or Preview?

    PowerPoint or the new Apple presentation program?

    Do all the Apple apps play so well together that I should shift
    to them just for that?

    Thanks for any advice.

    AES/newspost, Nov 10, 2004

  2. AES/newspost

    Bob Harris Guest

    Start by running the existing Apps in Classic and play with the Apple
    ones to see if you like them. You do _NOT_ need to make an all or
    nothing jump. You can evolve the decision on an application by
    application basis.
    No reason you can't get a free email account somewhere and have Mac OS X
    Mail point to that, and then send and receive a few emails to see how it
    goes. Decide after you have played with it for awhile. If you like Mac
    OS X Mail, then set it up to fetch and send email using your normal mail
    account.
    Again, play with Address Book. Enter a few more useful entries. One of
    the things about the Address Book is that it is integrated with Mac OS X
    Mail, and iChat and any other app that needs to get address information.

    But if you do not find you are using those features, and do not like
    Address Book features, stick with what you know. You can even stick
    with the Classic mode version.
    Use both. I do. Most things display correctly for both Apps but there
    are sometimes .pdf files that are picky and for that Acrobat works.

    But, what I really like about Preview is that

    a) it is fast
    b) I "LOVE" the search feature in Preview. I get a lot of design
    documents at work in PDF (or Word that I convert to PDF), and it makes
    life so much easier to use Preview and search for the technical
    information in the document, than to use almost any other tool.

    For me Preview "Rocks"!
    I don't presentations, so I have no experience with either. If you make
    up a lot of presentations, then I can only suggest you evaluate it for
    yourself.

    But then again, if you are going to get Microsoft Office anyway (because
    you want/need Word or Excel), then if you are happy with PowerPoint, you
    might as well stick with it as it will not be an added expense if you
    are getting it as part of "Office".

    But if you feel PowerPoint it lacking and you want more, then evaluate
    other offerings.
    There is a bit of integration between several of the Apps, but you do
    not need to make the jump right away. Just keep using your existing
    tools in Classic and learn about the other tools at your own pace.
    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Nov 10, 2004

  3. AES/newspost

    Steve Hix Guest

    Mail.app comes with OS X; use for a while. If it really won't do the job,
    spring for Eudora.
    Address Book's got hooks built in so lots of things automagically get to
    talk to it.
    If you need *Acrobat*, you need more than Preview will do, like editing
    PDF files. They're not directly comparable.

    If you mean Acrobat *Reader*, go ahead and get both, they're free. I use
    Preview most of the time since it doesn't take up most of the screen
    with various menus and palettes, and searching on text inside PDF files
    with Preview is fast.

    Once in a while, I get something a little odd that won't render as well
    in Preview as in Reader. They don't take up that much disk space.
    Keynote is pretty slick; does some things nicer/easier than PowerPoint.
    If you really have be able to work with other peoples' PP files, then
    you probably want to go with PP.
    Pretty much. Go with third-party where Apple's apps just don't do the
    job for you.

    Steve Hix, Nov 10, 2004