Upgrading from Onboard Sound to Sound Card

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Boris, Jul 12, 2007.

  1. Boris

    Boris Guest

    My son plays guitar. He is trying to use an audio mixing/recording
    program called Cakewalk on an E510 with integrated sound (Sigma Tel).
    It has 2.1 speakers. It won't work, and the Cakewalk forums are full
    of users with the same problem with Sigma Tel on board audio.

    I'd like to get a low cost sound card, such as the Sound Blaster
    Audigy SE, SB0570, ($30) just so we can get Cakewalk to work and try
    out the program. And, who knows, the SB0570 may be fine for his
    current needs.

    I haven't cracked open the E510 case lately, but I just looked at the
    system board component diagram online, and it does take PCI cards.
    I'm assuming it takes the full height card, too. The documentation
    also says to turn off the Audio Controller in the System Setup.

    Are there any other considerations of which I'm not aware? Any
    gottchas to what should be a simple upgrade?

    Boris, Jul 12, 2007

  2. Boris

    Journey Guest

    There shouldn't be any gotchas. Definitely crack open the case and
    verify that you have a free PCI slot. If not, it's likely that you
    have a modem card in there that you don't need.

    Creative also makes an external USB "sound card". I have it and like
    it a lot, although you are probably best off with an internal PCI card
    if you have a slot for it.

    Journey, Jul 12, 2007

  3. Boris

    Boris Guest

    I've seen some external USB sound cards for the first time today.
    Never knew such an animal existed, but it makes sense for laptops. I
    ran into this one today:

    http://tinyurl.com/2fs9kg

    Boris, Jul 12, 2007
  4. Boris

    Journey Guest

    The creative one is much better. It has a USB connection, but the
    device has 5.1 speaker connections on it, line in, control of volume,
    control of special effects, and some other things.

    Journey, Jul 12, 2007
  5. Boris

    RnR Guest

    Journey, like Boris, I wasn't aware of USB external sound cards either
    because I haven't had any need but it sounds interesting. Just
    curious, how much is the creative sound card you mention? I could see
    it being practical in some cases if no other reason than being on a
    USB connection.

    RnR, Jul 12, 2007
  6. Boris

    Journey Guest

    Hi RnR -- please do a lookup on Amazon's site, and post the price
    here. I assume you aren't stupid or lazy :) gotcha !!!!! :)

    (please know, this is in jest, ok?)

    Journey, Jul 12, 2007
  7. Boris

    RnR Guest

    Ok... actually I would have but I thought there might be a pariticular
    model name so I didn't bother to look up any. But I accept your joke
    in part seriously so here goes..... I will see what I find on
    pricegrabber.com :

    http://computers.pricegrabber.com/s...=usb+creative+sound+card/sort_type=bottomline

    If this is the same as you mentioned, then it's running around $55 or
    so and looks to have a favorable rating. If this isn't the same card,
    please inform me and I'll do another search on that name !!

    RnR, Jul 12, 2007
  8. Boris

    Journey Guest

    Yes, it's $48 on Amazon.

    http://tinyurl.com/39o6pn

    It works very well.

    For something like this, it's very important that anyone considering
    it read the user reviews.

    Journey, Jul 12, 2007
  9. Boris

    RnR Guest

    Looks nice. I want one now but I'm not Paris Hilton and I don't
    really have a need for it right now :( .

    BTW, did you see the pic of Paris Hilton holding an iphone. Guess
    being in jail gave her time to make her new list of things to get :) .

    RnR, Jul 13, 2007
  10. Boris

    Journey Guest

    When I see her next I'll have to kid her about being seen with the
    iPhone. The last time we went out there were like 50 photographers! I
    haven't seen Lindsey Lohan for a while so maybe we'll all have to get
    together. It was hard being away from Paris for so long.

    By the way, I talked to Brittney the other day and she's doing well.
    She's pretty p-o'd at her mother though. It will pass. I think she's
    like 35 days sober -- go girl!!!

    Journey, Jul 13, 2007
  11. Boris

    Journey Guest

    If you have a desktop system, you're best off with a PCI sound card
    IMO. I need the PCI slots though for extra USB and Firewire ports, so
    went with the external sound card.

    Journey, Jul 13, 2007