    graphics card to a Dell Dimension E521 AMD Athlon with NVIDIA GeForce
    6150 LE Integrated Graphics. If I simply add another graphics card how
    will that interact with the integrated graphics already installed?

    sharonf, Mar 26, 2007

  2. First question, does the motherboard even have an AGP or PCI Express socket?

    Sometimes, you can't upgrade such computers. Period.

    Sometimes, if you plug in graphics card, the onboard port is either
    disable or becomes a secondary video card (dual monitors).

    Sometimes, you have to configure this in the BIOS.

    Barry Watzman, Mar 26, 2007

  3. sharonf

    pen Guest

    When you start the computer press F2 immediately and enter setup.
    In the BIOS setup under the video setting, put it on AUTO. Save
    settings and restart.

    pen, Mar 26, 2007
  4. sharonf

    BR549 Guest

    Based on the questions you ask, I would suggest that you not attempt this
    upgrade yourself. Find someone that's familiar with pc hardware to do the
    upgrade for you or assist you in doing it.

    BR549, Mar 27, 2007
  5. sharonf

    sharonf Guest

    Why is that? I have installed a new video card before. I was just
    wondering about doing that with a computer with integrated graphics.

    sharonf, Mar 27, 2007
  6. sharonf

    Tom Scales Guest

    On most Dells, just install the card but leave the monitor connected to the
    integrated video (or connect two temporarily). Boot the machine and install
    the drivers for the new card. Go into System manager and disable the on
    board graphics. Reboot with the monitor connected to the card.

    On some models, the integrated is automatically disabled. If you don't see
    anything on the monitor on the first boot, move the cable to the new card.
    It should show up there. Some will even warn you that it is connected in
    the wrong place.

    No need to touch the BIOS on any Dell that I have done this one (which is
    many).

    Tom Scales, Mar 27, 2007
  7. sharonf

    sharonf Guest

    Thanks so much!
    That is the information that I'm looking for.

    sharonf, Mar 27, 2007