    on the firewire drive? Can someone walk me through the recommended steps?

    Thanks!

    -Tina

    Tina Brown, Feb 15, 2005

  2. Tina Brown

    Tina Brown Guest

    Oops, one more question - what is "Archive and Restore"? Can I use this
    feature, and/or will, it do what I want (mentioned above?

    Thx,

    -Tina

    Tina Brown, Feb 15, 2005

  3. Tina Brown

    Zaphod B Guest

    I'd go with CCC or a similar utility. Make a complete image onto another
    disk (your external one), then restore that onto your new internal.

    You can't use Arcive and Install (as it's called) because that's
    supposed to take care of user data while installing a complete new
    system on _the same_ disk.

    Zaphod B, Feb 16, 2005
  4. Tina Brown

    Tina Brown Guest

    It appears (well, to me), that Apple's own Disk Utility can make an
    image and Restore it - would using Apple's app be more "safe" than CCC?
    Anyone have experience with it? Will I have have to enter all my app's
    serial numbers again?

    Tina Brown, Feb 16, 2005
  5. Tina Brown

    KurtTappe Guest

    What is the best way to get my old drive copied the way it is to my
    new
    Disk Utility cannot do everything you want--it will lose permissions.
    That is why CCC was originally developed--it will not only copy all the
    files, but it will preserve all permissions on all files and
    directories. A newer, easier to use utility that works just as well,
    is SuperDuper! Use CCC or SuperDuper! and you'll get exactly what you
    want. If you use CCC, make sure the "Make bootable" option is checked
    both times you do the clone.

    Also, after the first clone, you might want to boot from the external
    drive just to be sure the clone worked--it will almost certainly be
    good, but peace of mind is worth the extra boot. :)

    Oh, and no, you should not have to enter all your serial numbers again.
    CCC and SuperDuper! perform an exact copy of all your files.

    -Kurt

    KurtTappe, Feb 16, 2005
  6. Tina Brown

    Zaphod B Guest

    Not more safe, possibly easier. But Disk Utility will not make a
    bootable, complete copy of the disk - CCC will. But if you only need
    backup of the User hierarchy + some apps and prefs, it will work.

    No, you should not need to re-enter serial #s if you do a complete
    backup and restore.

    Zaphod B, Feb 16, 2005
  7. I'm really starting to wonder what makes it so bloody damn' difficult to
    create a bootable copy of your startup volume under what is supposed to
    be "the world's most advanced operating system".

    If it were advanced it'd be at least as easy as the drag & drop
    procedure under all prior versions of Mac OS ;-)

    So what's it then, invisible files/directories? Wouldn't they get copied
    when dragging the entire volume?

    I'd really like to get a concise explanation on that - if anybody cares
    it'd be most appreciated.

    Martin Sammtleben, Feb 16, 2005
  8. Tina Brown

    Zaphod B Guest

    No.

    You can do it from the command-line, though. But that doesn't qualify, I
    guess.

    Zaphod B, Feb 16, 2005
  9. Tina Brown

    Tom Stiller Guest

    I don't know all the issues, but hard linked files present an impediment
    to drag&drop since there can be two (or more) files in (possibly)
    scattered directories that have the same contents -- not duplicates, but
    *the same*.

    Tom Stiller, Feb 16, 2005
  10. Tina Brown

    Tina Brown Guest

    Disk Utility cannot do everything you want--it will lose permissions.
    That is why CCC was originally developed--it will not only copy all the
    files, but it will preserve all permissions on all files and
    directories. A newer, easier to use utility that works just as well,
    is SuperDuper! Use CCC or SuperDuper! and you'll get exactly what you
    want. If you use CCC, make sure the "Make bootable" option is checked
    both times you do the clone.

    Also, after the first clone, you might want to boot from the external
    drive just to be sure the clone worked--it will almost certainly be
    good, but peace of mind is worth the extra boot. :)

    Oh, and no, you should not have to enter all your serial numbers again.
    CCC and SuperDuper! perform an exact copy of all your files.

    -Kurt[/QUOTE]

    Excellent - thank you all so much! -Tina

    Tina Brown, Feb 16, 2005
  11. Tina Brown

    André Igler Guest

    They want to _sell_ their OS to you?

    André Igler, Feb 16, 2005
  12. How would you "do it from the command line"?

    cg

    Claire Gadzikowski, Feb 16, 2005
  13. Tina Brown

    Zaphod B Guest

    I am no unix expert, but you'd need to study the various unix copying
    commands. I do know that it can easily be done by those who are familiar
    with the CLI. Check out <http://developer.apple.com/unix/>,
    <http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/> and the various utilities'
    'man' pages in Terminal.

    Personally, I'd do it using SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner. :)

    Zaphod B, Feb 16, 2005
  14. Tina Brown

    news Guest

    news, Feb 17, 2005
  15. Thanks, just what I was hoping to find!

    I also studied my Retrospect manual and they claim that R can create
    bootable clones, too.

    Has anyone used Retrospect successfully for that purpose?

    Martin Sammtleben, Feb 17, 2005
  16. Excellent - thank you all so much! -Tina[/QUOTE]

    You will have to check ok when opening each application for the 'first'
    time.

    Walter Bushell, Mar 8, 2005