    don't need to install Windows XP and all of my applications on the new
    drive.
    Thanks

    techman41973, Apr 6, 2005

  2. techman41973

    Andrew Guest

    wrote:
    : I have a laptop with a 30Gig hard drive that I have partitioned into 2
    : equal partitions. I would like to replace the 30gig with a 60 gig
    : drive. What is the easiest way to transfer my drive image, so that I
    : don't need to install Windows XP and all of my applications on the new
    : drive.

    Get a USB enclosure for a 2.5" hard drive, then clone the current
    drive to the new drive, then swap the new drive in. I use Acronis True Image
    instead of Symantec's Ghost, but in your case, you might want to buy a
    Symantec software bundle that includes Ghost and Partition Magic, so
    after you clone the drive to the new one, you can re-size the two 15GB
    partitions to be two 30GB partitions (or whatever you want them to be
    now).

    If you already have an external hard drive, you could make images
    (with Ghost or True Image) of the two partitions and save them to the
    external drive (assuming you have 30GB laying around), then swap in
    the new drive, boot from the recovery disk you made in Ghost or True
    Image, and install each partition on the new drive.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Apr 6, 2005

  3. techman41973

    Time Teamer Guest

    Acronis True Image 8

    http://www.acronis.com/

    Time Teamer, Apr 6, 2005
  4. Maplin (in the UK) are currently knocking out a USB2 to IDE cable for about
    £40 or so. Cheaper than an enclosure and useful for other things. It only
    works with UDMA disk drives though.

    Ian.

    Ye Electric Fanne Clubbe, Apr 6, 2005
  5. techman41973

    Steve Pearce Guest

    Have to agree with the other posters, using an external USB2.0 drive
    and Ghost 9 is the best way. I did it recently using the DVR+RW drive
    and Ghost 9, it natively writes to the DVD and happily spans multiple
    disks. You then put in the new drive, boot from the Ghost disk and
    restore.

    Steve Pearce, Apr 6, 2005
  6. techman41973

    Veritech Guest

    Veritech, Apr 6, 2005
  7. You may need to do a repair install no matter what, as XP "knows" the
    drive on which it's installed at the drive serial number level and may
    not work when transferred.

    However, the easiest way is to mount both drives in the same computer
    and used Drive Image in the "copy partition" mode. You can probably do
    this most easily with the new drive attached to your computer via a USB
    connection, then swap drives.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 7, 2005
  8. techman41973

    JefN Guest

    | You may need to do a repair install no matter what, as XP "knows"
    | the drive on which it's installed at the drive serial number level and
    | may not work when transferred.

    Changing only the Hard Drive does not adversely affect Windows Product
    Activation. It only counts as one of ten potential "yes" votes (the NIC
    counts as three) .. where fewer than seven "yes, I'm the same" votes will
    trigger WPA.

    In a notebook system, that would entail a whole slew of or upgraded devices
    which, ideally, would probably necessitate a reinstall.

    See the late MS-MVP Alex Nichol's page for a very detailed discussion on
    WPA:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

    Changing only the hard drive with an image on a new drive will cause the new
    drive to be redetected as new hardware upon the first boot. The IDE driver
    would then be reloaded and all would be good to go.

    Jef

    JefN, Apr 7, 2005