Upgrading Harddisk 5400 rpm vs. 7200 rpm

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Stefan Müller, Oct 17, 2008.

  1. The following is a write-up of my two posts on TabletPCBuzz. Since not
    too many people might watch the Acer forum over there I re-post here
    what is of general interest. I suppose there must be quite a few
    owners of ~4 year-old tablets around that are facing the alternative
    of either upgrading or exchanging their tablet.

    I had recently upgraded the memory of my trusted Acer C314 to 2 GB.
    After that the hard disk reached its limits when going into or waking
    up from hibernation. Copying the 2 GB to HD seemed to take forever on
    the old 4200 rpm Seagate drive.

    I looked at the Hitachi travel star 7200 rpm as well as some solid
    state disks. Both are quite expensive (the later especially if one
    wants to buy the fast SLC based devices) and do not offer very much
    capacity.

    The article on 'computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=354706'
    compares the Hitachi Travelstar 7K100 80GB to the Samsung SpinPoint
    M5P 160GB (HM160HC). (The article is in German, though the relevant
    information is the graphics).
    Surprisingly, the 5400 rpm Samsung performs much better than the 7200
    rpm Hitachi. As far as I understand, this is due to the higher density
    on the platter in the more recent Samsung disk.

    The Samsung disk being twice as big and cheaper (~70$), I decided on
    buying one. The harddisk upgrade was performed using the following
    Linux based GUI-software which all can be downloaded as Live-CD
    versions:
    o GParted for inspecting the old disk and partitioning the new one.
    o PING for copying partition images of the old disk to an external HD
    and restoring them to the new disk.

    I recall reading some folks' post somewhere that the Acer recovery
    partition (~2.25 GB) should not be removed so I did as advised.

    The upgrade went flawless. The Tablet now wakes up from hibernation
    noticeably faster. The response when starting software is quicker as
    well. So the investement was well worth the cash and effort.

    Everything works just fine and I am very content with the result in
    performance. Plus there is 60 GB extra space that I will use for
    installing some additional Linux OS. Prices for 1 GB memory banks
    sinking lower and lower, the overall investment (memory + HD) was less
    than $150 and made my Tablet ready for the next two years of fulll
    performance. I use it as a desktop workhorse more than for travelling.
    So I cannot say much about the impact on battery life but I suspect
    that the 5400 rpm drive must consume a little less energy.

    Cheers!
    St. Müller, Switzerland

    Stefan Müller, Oct 17, 2008

  2. So I cannot say much about the impact on battery life but I suspect
    .... than a 7200 rpm drive would. :)

    Stefan Müller, Oct 17, 2008

  3. Thanks for your interesting report!

    Gruss