    hard drive or is it best (or even absolutely necessary) when upgrading
    the mainboard, CPU and graphics card to do a complete reinstall of
    Windows XP?

    RedSheraton, Jun 14, 2005

  2. RedSheraton

    SNC Guest

    most definitely... reformat... reinstall... clean out the old dll and other
    system files...
    yes, you will have to get a new activation key from the anti-christ...
    oops... microsoft, but the clean install will be well worth it...

    SNC

    SNC, Jun 15, 2005

  3. RedSheraton

    DaveW Guest

    Whenever you change the motherboard in a computer that's runnign XP as the
    OS, you MUST reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS.
    Otherwise you will have nasty ongoing Registry errors and data corruption.
    (If it will even boot...)

    DaveW, Jun 15, 2005
  4. RedSheraton

    stevem Guest

    Sorry, I feel I must step in here to say that that is c**p! I have recently
    successfully changed from a P4B266 to a P5AD2E-Premium, including going from
    a P42.2 to a P43.4 (550) processor, and moving to DDR2 memory, WITHOUT
    having to reformat/reinstall. The critical point is to remember to remove as
    many board-specific drivers as possible (i.e., IDE, etc) and let the board
    revert to the XP-generic drivers. This must, of course, be done BEFORE
    removing the original board. I will admit I did have the added luxury of
    having two drives to play with, such that I was able to retain the original
    drive for the P4B266, and clone it (using Norton Ghost) to the drive I was
    going to use to boot the P5AD2E-Premium. Then, I simply booted the P4B266 on
    the new drive, reverted everything I could find to the inbuilt XP drivers,
    installed the P5AD2E-Premium, booted on that, and installed the new drivers.
    The main advantage, of course, is that I did NOT need to re-install the
    multitude of applications I already had installed (OK, I obviously had to
    reactivate XP and Office, but you get three days to reactivate XP, so you
    have plenty of time to get things straightened out before doing so.) Please
    stop giving dodgy advice!

    Steve.

    stevem, Jun 15, 2005
  5. RedSheraton

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    **************W R O N G **************W R O N G****************

    A simple repair installation will be sufficient, provided the disc being
    used is not a bios locked OEM disc.

    You *DO NOT* have to wipe your drive an reinstall just because of a
    motherboard swap.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jun 15, 2005
  6. RedSheraton

    Tim Guest

    Do a repair on 1st boot next time. That is [part of] what it is for.

    For instructions, go to www.michaelstevenstech.com

    - Tim

    Tim, Jun 15, 2005
  7. RedSheraton

    stevem Guest

    Tim,

    You are, of course, perfectly correct in what you say. In fact, my first
    attempt was exactly as you suggest. I even had an SP2 slipstreamed CD in
    place. Unfortunately, I came up against a problem I have seen mentioned on
    Google groups, and even on the MS KB - after initial loading of the system,
    then reboot, I found that my keyboard and mouse were completely inoperative.
    XP reported that it could not find the CD drive. MS KB suggests hitting F10,
    followed by various arcane incantations - but precisely how one achieves
    this WITH A COMPLETELY INOPERATIVE KEYBOARD is beyond me! That is why I did
    what I did re reverting to XP's native drivers. Curiously, both Google
    groups and MS KB insisted that this inoperative keyboard/mouse issue could
    be resolved by hitting various keys - I can only conclude that no-one
    actually reads these posts properly! I still have no idea why the
    keyboard/mouse were inoperative - I even went so far as to revert
    keyboard/mouse drivers to native XP, and use standard PS/2 keyboard/mouse,
    but it didn't make any difference - both still inoperative. Fortunately,
    going back to native XP drivers solved the problem.

    Steve.

    stevem, Jun 15, 2005
  8. RedSheraton

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

    There are two types of issues: software and ethical/legal.

    From the software viewpoint, you will need to perform a repair install of XP
    on the new system as a minimum, so that the correct drivers for the
    mainboard will be installed. A clean installation might be better, but it'd
    be rather more work.

    From the ethical/legal stand, a retail OEM license is not supposed to be
    transferable to a new machine, at least in the USA. I doubt that changing
    from a PIII mainboard and CPU to an A64 system would be regarded by
    Microsoft as a "repair". If your OEM copy of XP isn't a retail version, it
    may not be possible to use it on another type of mainboard; it could be BIOS
    locked.

    The least expensive robust option would be to obtain a retail upgrade
    version of XP. You can do anything with the upgrade version that the full
    version would support, if you can produce "qualifying media" (I use a CD-R
    copy of my retail Win98 Gold upgrade CD). In the US, the cost is less than
    $100.

    HTH.

    Bob Knowlden

    Bob Knowlden, Jun 15, 2005
  9. RedSheraton

    magus kent Guest

    Check out this link:

    http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/77909774/m/1400925745

    magus kent, Jun 15, 2005
  10. RedSheraton

    Joe Doe Guest

    Was the reactivation processed automatically via the internet or did you
    have to call in for the reactivation?

    Roland

    Joe Doe, Jun 15, 2005
  11. RedSheraton

    stevem Guest

    It was done automatically over internet, because the last re-activation was
    more than the requisite 90 or 120 days beforehand (has anyone actually got
    genuine information on this?). When you activate (or re-activate) a product,
    Microsoft's database effectively 'resets' after either 90 or 120 days, so
    you can re-activate automatically. It's only when you have to re-activate
    within this period that you have to call in. In my experience, when I've had
    to reactivate within this period, there has never been any 'inquisition'
    about why I'm doing it; I've simply had to recite a ridiculously long string
    to them, and then type an equally ridiculously long string dictated by
    Microsoft. In fact, the last time I had to do this, there was no 'human'
    interface at all, it was all done via a 'robot' system.
    Steve.

    stevem, Jun 16, 2005
  12. RedSheraton

    Triffid Guest

    Most people here have learned to ignore DaveW - he's almost always dead
    wrong, and adds no value even when partially correct. You won't miss
    anything by plonking all top-posters here.

    Triffid

    Triffid, Jun 16, 2005
  13. RedSheraton

    CraigNJ Guest

    FWIW, doing a fresh install every couple of years can be a good idea
    for a completely different reason: it's a way to ensure that you
    don't carry forward any viruses, spyware, and old programs that you'd
    just as soon not have cluttering up your system anymore, and also ones
    that didn't completely uninstall.

    Craig

    CraigNJ, Jun 16, 2005
  14. RedSheraton

    Zeneca Guest

    Better than a complete reinstall, make a backup once you've finis the fresh
    installation and load it again when you find the system heavy.

    Zeneca, Jun 16, 2005
  15. RedSheraton

    Clive Lumb Guest

    OK. So I've read the whole thread.. and nobody is totally correct.

    Firstly, on the principle/practicality of swapping a MB.
    Yes, if you delete everything that mentions VIA (or INTEL or NVIDIA etc.)
    from the hardware list - plus the graphics card and any integrated network
    cards, plus the sound chip - WITHOUT REBOOTING (and if you've remembered to
    use a PS/2 mouse not a USB one since it stops working as soon as you delete
    the VIA(or other) USB controller)
    - THEN replace any branded IDE driver by the Microsoft standard IDE driver
    - AND if you're not booting of some esoteric SATA or SCSI drive
    - THEN stop the computer and swap the M/B
    It should work 9 times out of 10.
    The repair procedure is generally only necessary if you need to change the
    HAL (hardware abstraction layer, not the computer from 2001 A Space
    Odyssey), for example if going from mono to multi-processor or vice-versa,
    or if ACPI was not activated on the previous board.

    HOWEVER :
    A format & re-install is generally better for the following reasons
    - Cleans up spywares, virii etc.
    - New clean set of DLLs
    - And the one that Microsoft denies... Windows has timing issues if you take
    too great a step in processor speed or if you change processor technology
    (AMD/INTEL). Your system might run OK most of the time, but you can have
    strange bugs, random reboots etc.

    In Red's case, going from a P3 to an Athlon 64, I would highly reccommend
    starting from 0.

    Thanks for listening
    Clive

    Clive Lumb, Jun 16, 2005
  16. RedSheraton

    Gert B. Frob Guest

    Really? The system I'm using now has gone from a P-4 1.8 to 2.6 to 3.2
    (all Northwood). No "timing" issues here. As a matter of fact, I went from
    2100 ram to 3200 after updating to the 3.2 processor. What are you talking
    about?

    Gert B. Frob, Jun 17, 2005
  17. RedSheraton

    Clive Lumb Guest

    I'm talking about experience...
    In Red's case he is proposing to go from a 800 MHz Intel platform to a 3000+
    64 bit AMD - a much bigger speed step than yours, plus a technology change
    from Intel to AMD, plus a chipset change from probably Intel or Via to
    Nvidia.
    I am not saying that it won't work, just saying that it may not work
    terribly well.

    Cheers

    Clive

    Clive Lumb, Jun 17, 2005
  18. RedSheraton

    Gert B. Frob Guest

    What I mean is just what are the manifestations of these "timing" issues?

    Gert B. Frob, Jun 17, 2005
  19. RedSheraton

    Clive Lumb Guest

    Ah OK. Some examples (I run a park of about 40 computers):
    Moved Win2K from Intel (P2 450 or maybe P3 800) to Athlon 1700, all OK,
    Moved to Athlon 2000 and the mouse started freezing (generally 1 second
    after it starts moving), play any type of video/audio file and the sounds
    stutters 5 seconds in. Move back to the 1700, all OK. The 2000 runs fine on
    the same board with a fresh install.

    Upgraded an Asus A7V333 with Duron 800 to an A7N8X with Barton 2800+. Finite
    element software actually ran slower than on the original (suspect a memory
    or disk issue since ANSYS uses all the RAM and then some). Repaired Win2K,
    all was fine.

    Moving from a P2 450 on an Abit BX board to an Athlon 1200 on some cheapo
    m/b and the computer would bluescreen regularly. Reinstalled Win2k and te
    problem went away.

    That being said, the computer I am using to write this has had 3 boards and
    4 processors over the last 2 1/2 years, beta bioses, beta Nforce drivers
    etc. and it's still fast and stable. However all the m/b's were Asus and all
    the processors AMD.

    Cheers

    Clive

    Clive Lumb, Jun 17, 2005