Upgrading HD in T43

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Mike Y, Nov 16, 2011.

  1. Mike Y

    Mike Y Guest

    Ok, I was running out of space on my T43 with 60G drive. So I bought a
    Samsung 160G drive.

    I used clonezilla to clone the old drive to the new. Worked great, but it
    won't boot.

    I was going to make a bigger partition but I tried it first with a direct
    copy. No go. So I went back and did it with custom options. Again, no
    boot.

    I can use the drive all day long on the USB cable, and it's fast and works
    great. EVERYTHING appears to be there, but it won't boot. Either on the
    USB cable or in the main drive slot.

    Just for giggles I put the original drive on the USB cable and it won't boot
    as USB, but it boots fine in the drive slot.

    Going into drive management on XP the drive shows active with no problems
    when it's on the USB cable as drive E: I've run a full chkdsk and found no
    problems. I'm stumped.

    Now when clonezilla made the copy, it asked if I wanted to copy executable
    code in the boot sector I said yes. Should I have done that or not?

    Any ideas?

    Mike

    Mike Y, Nov 16, 2011

  2. Mike Y

    ~misfit~ Guest

    It is notoriuosly difficult to copy a ThinkPad drive, including all of the
    hidden bits. I think that there are actually *three* partitions, the
    pre-desktop, the R&R and XP. I believe there may be an option to 'un-hide'
    the hidden partition in BIOS when the original drive is in the laptop.
    Perhaps you could do that and then try to copy again?

    Also, make sure that you have the latest BIOS (and even then it wil moan
    that you're not using an IBM HDD, for reasons that we won't go into just
    yet). However a non-IBM drive will work fine in a T43 (also R52's have this
    issue).

    Another thing, XP won't boot via USB as it tries to load USB drivers during
    boot and kills itself (no damage to the install, just the booting process).

    I've upgraded my T43 and T43p both, but didn't copy the old drive. I chose
    to use the opportunity to do a fresh install of XP. I lost the pre-desktop
    but I never use it anyway. I just obtained a copy of an XP OEM CD and it
    worked just fine, accepting the number on the COA from the bottom.

    Best of luck.
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Nov 17, 2011

  3. You don't say what the symptoms are - just that it doesn't work.

    In any case, you might try to rewrite the Master Boot Record. I must
    admit I don't know how to do that anymore - used to use MSDos fdisk -
    but who has MSDos any more. Microsoft web site says the recovery
    console will do it - but you'd need an XP install CD to use that.

    Marc Auslander, Nov 17, 2011
  4. Mike Y

    Mike Y Guest

    I'm finding that out!

    Turns out that I have a 'refurb' unit, and the stuff that's 'hidden' on the
    drive is just a hack to make it work. So, I went back and got the R&R and
    AccessIBM stuff. And I'm on the latest BIOS.
    The last 4 or 5 BIOS will just beep nasty and continue on if you have setup
    configure correctly.
    I have way too much stuff that needs to be cloned, so I'm sorta stuck.

    I managed to get 10G off my existing disk so I can now run the R&R install,
    and I'll go from there after I go into the BIOS and set the flag to make it
    visible.

    Thanks

    Mike Y, Nov 18, 2011
  5. Mike Y

    Mike Y Guest

    If it were just the boot sector, I'd write my own...

    Mike Y, Nov 18, 2011
  6. Mike Y

    Mike Y Guest

    That's BRAIN DEAD!! I wrote PCMCIA drivers years ago and we could boot from
    PCMCIA and pass it off and boot from it. All it took was a 'fake' client so
    that windows would pick it up. Then first removal released everything and

    How the hell did something like that ever make it out of testing?

    Mike Y, Nov 18, 2011
  7. Mike Y

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Clue: USB 1 was barely off the drawing board when Windows XP was released.

    ~misfit~, Nov 18, 2011
  8. Mike Y

    ~misfit~ Guest

    It's a tricky system that IBM used.
    Yeah, that's a consequence of IBM using an Intel chipset that was SATA based
    and only had a single IDE channel. They used the IDE for the optical drive /
    Ultrabay and used a SATA -> IDE 'bridge-chip' for the HDD. As they couldn't
    be sure that all HDDs into the future would work fine on the bridgechip they
    put the BIOS thing in. There was no need as it turned out, there's never
    been a case of an IDE HDD not working out-of-the-box in a T43 (or R52 /
    X41).

    They used a brigechip for two reasons; SATA HDDs cost more than twice as
    much as IDE HDDs at the time but also IBM intended the T43 to be the last of
    the T4x line so wanted to keep it compatible with T41s, T42 etc. They waited
    until the T60 to change to SATA HDDs.
    You're welcome.

    ~misfit~, Nov 18, 2011
  9. Mike Y

    Mike Y Guest

    True, but boot from configurable devices was established WAY back before
    that. There was the scheme that Novel used, but that doesn't count due to
    the tricks they used, but back as far as the Dec HiNote you could boot from
    ANYTHING in a PCMCIA slot and have it work. Panasonic could even boot CD
    ROM or FLASH (something a lot of people at the time said was impossible for
    Windows to do) And Windows 98 with CardSoft would even allow any device at
    boot to STAY present during the windows boot and transfer over cleanly.

    Of course, Windows still had the wierd scheme about insertion and removal,
    even though SystemSoft made it transparent.

    Mike Y, Nov 18, 2011
  10. "We finally got it to boot from USB without blowing chunks. Time to ship
    it!" Microsoft -- Perpetually beta.

    Tom Rutherford, Nov 18, 2011
  11. Mike Y

    ~misfit~ Guest

    All true. However I think that, at that time, MS (and most companies for
    that matter) didn't think that USB (ver.1 don't forget) was going to be used
    for moving large amounts of data (there was ethernet for that). USB was
    mainly considered as an interface for peripherals (and a poor one compared
    to 'Firewire') until USB 2 was ratified and in production.

    ~misfit~, Nov 19, 2011
  12. Mike Y

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Heh! I believe that it's actually possible to get XP to boot from a USB
    attached device now but it requires quite a lot of fiddling around and some
    3rd party stuff....

    ~misfit~, Nov 19, 2011
  13. Mike Y

    Mike Y Guest

    Well, still can't get it to clone...

    Acronis 10.0 hangs on the clone. Clonezilla says it clones. And I can even
    hook it up as a USB drive and see EVERYTHING, but when put in the drive
    slot, it just hangs with a blank screen.

    I downloaded the R&R from Lenovo, and it's installed, but when I do the
    trick of disabling it in the BIOS, it doesn't show anything.

    At this point I'm going to try to clone the drive again with Clonezilla,
    then try using both the R&R and the Acronis recovery disks against it.

    After that, I'm stumped.

    Mike Y, Nov 20, 2011
  14. Well, you know what they say about wills and ways. :)

    Tom Rutherford, Nov 20, 2011