Upgrading hd4850 to fanless card - hd6670 or hd6570?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Andrew Stoker, Jan 1, 2012.

  1. Hallo,
    Looking for a bit of advice on some fanless gfx card options:

    I feel that my fanned hd4850 (~3yrs old) is getting a bit noisy, and
    would like to move to a fanless solution. I've been looking over
    options on QuietPC.com and like the look of the 2 cards below.

    Do both these cards perform significantly better than HD4850?
    Also, is it worth paying the extra gbp24 for hd6670 over hd6570?
    Especially since the gbp24 saved can go towards a quieter cpu cooler as
    well :)

    FYI, my main games playing atm is Guild Wars, Skyrim, Deus ExHR, L4D1/2,
    Magicka, Warhammer 40k:Dawn of War II and games of that ilk.
    Also watching HD anime & films (H264).
    Need a card that's reasonably future proof for the next few years.

    Sapphire ATI Fanless HD6670 Ultimate 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E HDMI
    http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/vga-cards/sap-hd6670-ult

    Sapphire ATI Fanless HD6570 Ultimate 1GB GDDR3 PCI-E HMDI
    http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/vga-cards/sap-hd657-ult

    Regards,
    Andrew

    Andrew Stoker, Jan 1, 2012

  2. Am 02.01.2012 00:50, schrieb Andrew Stoker:
    Hello,

    The HD6670 will perform a little bit better than the HD6570 but these
    two cards are nowadays mainstream (but signficantly better than the old
    hd4850) and not so futureproof as the hd4850 3 years ago was. In future
    it'll be more difficult to find a fanless card with reasonable power.
    Fanless designs can't be high end. Better look for a higher ended card
    (6700 or 6800 series) with a bigger fan.

    all the best

    oachkatzlschwoaf94, Jan 3, 2012

  3. Thanks for the feedback. Interesting you mention 6700 series, doing a
    bit of searching, I found a couple of fanless 6700 models:

    ASUS EAH6770 DC SL/2DI/1GD5
    and
    Gigabyte GV-R675SL-1GI (hd6750)

    Quite tempted by the Asus, although the heatsink on it is pretty monster
    sized, there's room in my case for it, and the prices I can find are
    about what I had budgeted

    Regards

    Andrew Stoker, Jan 7, 2012
  4. Thanks for the feedback. Interesting you mention 6700 series, doing a
    The bigger the heatsink, the better it is for you :D
    The ASUS 6770 will be the correct one for you. It has slightly (yeah, i
    really mean a little bit) more power than the 6750. ASUS is a very good
    manufacturer and you'll long enjoy working/gaming with this card.

    all the best

    oachkatzlschwoaf94, Jan 13, 2012