    this CPU be specific supported in the BIOS/MB, or should it work just
    because the BIOS supports Dothan CPUs?

    /Ola

    Ola J. Presterud, Oct 31, 2005

  2. Ola J. Presterud

    Quaoar Guest

    I have a HP nw8000 with P-M 1.7GHz Banias. (nw8000 is the same as
    IMO it is unlikely that this is going to work. There are too many items
    in the design for the original CPU series that will prevent this type of
    CPU update on a laptop - power supply and cooling come to mind. Within
    a series, possibly, but not to a new series CPU. The later versions of
    the laptop probably incorporated specific design features for the newer
    CPU.

    The final word is HP of course. See what they say; but remember, they
    are no longer a manufacturer, just a marketer. If there is a BIOS
    update, that is also going to be specific to the laptop. If there is an
    update on HP's support site, check the release notes and see what it
    says.

    Quaoar, Oct 31, 2005

  3. It is the same system board and heat sink used in both the Banias and
    Dothan models of nw8000, and AFAIK all the Dothan 7x5 CPUs does produce
    less heat than the 1.7GHz Banias due to 90nm vs. 130nm production.

    As of the BIOS, it does support Dothan (since a few releases ago).

    After I posted the inital message, I have found a newer Maintenance guide
    from HP stating that the 2.0GHz Dothan (P-M 755) will work in this
    computer.

    But I still want the 765, if possible ;) But I have enough experience in
    this business to know that supporting the 755 in the BIOS must not
    automatically mean that the 765 is supported, even that it is only one step
    up on the multiplier... The 765 is still so expensive that I do not want a
    trial-and-error experience with it.

    If anyone can share some experience with upgrading an Banias/Dothan laptop
    to a P-M 765, and the chances for success, I am very happy to listen :)

    /Ola

    Ola J. Presterud, Nov 1, 2005
  4. Ola J. Presterud

    scotchfx

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    NC8000 + Pentium M 765 (2.1GHz)

    I want to try this also - currently I have a Pentium M 735 (1.7GHz) in my laptop but I'd like to soup it up a bit if possible.

    Ola - did you ever manage to get this configuration working? If so I'd love to hear about it as I intend to attempt the same thing. I was curious myself if the NC8000 BIOS would accept a 765 (given that there is already a 755 configuration out there).

    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=53748

    I know this thread is old but if you're (or anyone else w/ insight into this) still out there I'd love to hear from you.

    Thanks!

    scotchfx, Oct 26, 2006