Upgrading my machine.. memory question

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by mothandras, Dec 5, 2006.

  1. mothandras

    mothandras

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2006
    I am a long time system builder and have built my last 5 machines..

    Current Hardware:
    3.4Ghz P4 800 mhz FSB
    925X Intel Mobo
    3 Gb's DDR2 533 Mhz
    EVGA 6800 Ultra Video Card

    Upgrading to:
    Conroe E6600 2.4Ghz 1066 mhz FSB
    P965LTCK Intel Mobo
    EVGA 8800 Ultra Video Card

    My question is regarding the memory....

    I know my existing 3 Gb's of DDR2 533 mhz memory will work with this system.

    I just want to know how much performance I would gain by upgrading to 800 Mhz memory.

    I read a little tid bit on Intel's website about how the P965 chipset gains performance from 800 mhz memory.

    I have always related system FSB with memory speed. So 1066 mhz FSB /2 = 533Mhz memory. 533mhz X 2 - 1066 mhz FSB.

    I have spent prolly $400.00 on this memory and currently do not see any reason to update it.

    What are the advantages to using 800mhz memory? or is this just a marketing ploy.

    THX

    mothandras, Dec 5, 2006