Upgrading the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI Bios

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Guest, Jun 15, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I just spent the weekend from hell trying to figure out what was wrong with
    this computer that I just built, It consist of these components.

    MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI Motherboard
    MS Windows XP Professional sp2
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (Winchester core)
    1 gigabyte Corsair TWINX1024-3200XL XMS XPERT Memory
    2x 74 Gigabyte Western Digital Raptor 10,000 rpm HDD (Raid 0 srtipe)
    1 Seagate 40 Gigabyte 7200 rpm Backup HDD
    2x Nvidia Geforce 6800 PCI express cards in SLI configuration
    Plextor PX-716A DVD writer
    Themaltake Big Water CPU water cooling kit
    Lian LI PC-V1200 (Modified window kit) Case

    Once I got everything hooked up and got windows xp pro loaded everything
    worked fine until I used MSI windows update utility that came with the
    drivers CD to update the bios from ver 3.0 to 3.4. After that I couldn't get
    the computer to shut down properly and I did everything that I know of to
    figure out why it wasn't shutting down the way it was suppose to. I first
    tried to disconnect the Seagate backup drive, then I disconnected the 2nd
    DVD-ROM drive that I installed from my old computer then I tried switching
    from windows xp pro to windows xp home edition but nothing worked until I
    manually flashed to bios back from ver 3.4 to the original 3.0 and then
    everything worked like it should and It took me all weekend to find the
    problem. I didn't think that there would be a problem in jumping the bios
    version from 3.0 to 3.4 but I guess I was wrong, my question is, Do you have
    to upgrade the Bios from the original 3.0 to the current version 3.4 in
    numerical order?. Your prompt replies will be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Guest, Jun 15, 2005

  2. Guest

    kony Guest

    IMO, it's always more risky to use these types of tools.
    Best bet is going to their website, manually confirming the
    corrent board-bios, then flashing from DOS using a boot
    floppy, bootable CDR, thumbdrive, or any of these to boot
    then flashing with the file still on a (DOS-compatible,
    as-in FAT/FAT32) partition.

    Might be wrong bios.
    Might be a buggy driver.
    Might be a windows flaw.
    Might be buggy bios- it happens.

    I would try updating as I described above, to the
    intermediately-newer bios, v3.3 (or whatever- the last
    before 3.4). It could be that the problem is introduced in
    v3.(whatever) instead of 3.4, so you may have to stick with
    3.0.

    Sometimes it's useful to clean CMOS and load the defaults
    after flashing the bios. In fact, it's almost always a good
    idea to do that as a routine. If it does turn out to be a
    bios flaw, you might email MSI with your board model,
    revison, bios #s you used that worked as well as didn't, and
    a concise list of the hardware installed. They can only
    address issues they are aware of. I don't expect an
    immediate fix from them, but it's possible they know
    already- or at least given enough reports may devote some
    time towards fixing it in later bios versions.

    kony, Jun 15, 2005

  3. Guest

    dawg Guest

    Exactly. Windows BIOS flashing is iffy. Try re-flashing the 3.4 BIOS the old
    way or go back to to an earlier BIOS

    dawg, Jun 15, 2005
  4. Guest

    Nom Guest

    It's a known fault with the latest BIOS.

    Flash back to v3.0 if it was working OK for you.

    In future, if it ain't broke, don't fix it !
    Nothing to do with that - the shutdown issues are a known fault with the
    latest BIOS. As above, flash back to what you were using before.

    In future, don't flash the BIOS unless you *need* to.

    Nom, Jun 16, 2005
  5. Guest

    Nom Guest

    Windows BIOS flashing is just fine, providing your system is 100% stable.

    It is infact the recommended flashing method for both ASUS's (ASUS
    LiveUpdate) and MSI's (MSIUpdate) boards.

    Nom, Jun 16, 2005
  6. Guest

    kony Guest

    In fact, Asus themselves warn not to do it for some of their
    boards, unless the board had already been upgraded to a
    certain bios version first.

    The issue isn't necessarily whether the system is stable,
    but rather whether the updater works properly, and the
    (already used) bios does too.

    It IS a larger risk, one that can be avoided. There's
    really no good reason to use windows for anything that
    doesn't require windows.

    kony, Jun 16, 2005
  7. Guest

    Nom Guest

    Yes, that was on some of the earlier none-compatible stuffs.

    It's the main update method on all their new kit.

    There's also the issue that certain BIOSs need >= certain versions of
    AsusUpdate, so you should always use the latest version.
    Um, both of which equally apply, however you choose to flash ! A duff BIOS
    and/or a duff flash tool is gonna cause problems whatever OS you choose to
    use !
    It clearly offers the same risk.
    There's no inherent reason that flashing in Windows is any riskier than
    flashing in DOS. You're putting the same data onto the same flash chips in
    the same way - the only difference is the actual executable flashing file.
    But you're *already* using Windows. It clearly takes a lot more time and
    work to reboot into a seperate operating system, just for the purposes of
    BIOS fiddling !

    Nom, Jun 16, 2005
  8. Not true. DOS is an infinitely simpler and cleaner environment with nothing
    else going on but the one task at hand, the flash. As such there is no risk
    of an unexpected interaction from lord only knows what else is running
    because, unlike the Windows environment, there isn't anything else.

    David Maynard, Jun 16, 2005
  9. Guest

    JAD Guest

    If you use common sense its ok..If your going to flash the bios on Friday @
    8:00pm make sure the AV scan is turned off. ;^0...... Its much safer to
    take the time to boot to dos and the only thing that will catch you is a
    power hiccup.

    fiddling with the bios is like fiddling with heart surgery

    JAD, Jun 16, 2005
  10. Guest

    kony Guest

    No, those who previously had problems were using "common
    sense" in many cases. The fact of the matter is, it is more
    risky.

    The DOS update tool is the standard for doing it, written by
    the bios creators themselves, NOT merely the bios modifier,
    (the board manufacturer) and further, the board manufacturer
    is then writing (or paying 3rd party to write) this
    additional brand-specific windows code. There are more
    variables in addition to an inherantly less fixed and stable
    environment when using windows.

    That's just what someone is doing when they take the lazy
    way out and do a windows flash. Plenty of software that's
    "supposed" to work right, ends up not working right for a
    certain percentage of people, due to windows (a variable)
    and other software (another variable) or the updater (a 3rd
    variable) or the bios itself, later preventing boot to
    windows for the reflash.

    If someone assumes the risk in doing it from windows- so be
    it, it is their call to make. Even so, recognize it for
    what it is, a higher-risk flashing method.

    kony, Jun 17, 2005
  11. Guest

    JAD Guest

    No, those who previously had problems 'thought' they were using common
    sense....its not a 'mountain' just a mole hill. Done flashing via windows
    many times...I rather (my preference, my opinion, to do it in dos.)

    JAD, Jun 17, 2005
  12. Guest

    kony Guest

    .... as do you "think" you're using common sense.
    The fact of the matter is, for those who had the process
    fail, their "sense" and method was the same as yours. Only
    AFTER reports of failures do warning get posted about it-
    forseeing the problem before users did, the problems
    wouldn't have happened in the first place.

    kony, Jun 17, 2005
  13. Guest

    JAD Guest

    No your making a mountain out of a mole hill.. as usual

    JAD, Jun 17, 2005
  14. Guest

    kony Guest

    To a certain extent, yes. Then again, should anyone not
    able to boot to DOS really be considered competent to flash
    a bios, or given whatever the risk, who is to decide it's a
    low enough risk for *someone else* to take.

    Most people don't flash their bios very often, and they
    don't recover so well from mishaps. Taking a few extra
    seconds to simply boot to DOS is not a bad idea, and IS
    safer even if you dispute how large a mole hill is.

    kony, Jun 17, 2005
  15. Guest

    JAD Guest

    The people who just do it, because its there.. scare me...

    I said that in 1 line ............maybe 2

    JAD, Jun 17, 2005