upgrading to xp home from windows 98 on a toshiba satellite 2545xcdt

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by bigwavedave, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. bigwavedave

    bigwavedave Guest

    maybe i'm just lazy, but, i find the toshiba support site a bit
    cumbersome.

    i ran the xp advisor to search for incompatibilities and came up with:

    Software That Does Not Support Windows XP
    Setup has found programs on your computer that are incompatible with
    (that is, they do not work with) Windows XP. Contact your software
    vendors to obtain updates or Windows XP-compatible versions. If you
    don't update these programs before you upgrade, the programs will not
    work after the upgrade is completed.

    HW Setup (in Control Panel)
    MS DTC (in Control Panel)

    Toshiba Services (in Control Panel)
    Toshiba Software Upgrades

    among other do-able changes. does anyone know if these upgrades are
    important or if they even exist? if so, where they be?

    TIA

    david

    bigwavedave, Mar 5, 2004

  2. bigwavedave

    Quaoar Guest

    Upgrading an old(er) computer to XP is easy if you are not concerned
    with drivers for some of your hardware. The best course is to go
    through Device Manager device-by-device and make detailed notes of what
    it is, it's model designation, etc. Then review the Toshiba site in
    detail to see if drivers are available for what devices are important to
    you. *You* will have to search for missing or equivalent drivers if
    either Toshiba or XP do not have them. To start, experience shows that
    256MB RAM and at least a 500Mhz PIII are desireable. Anything less in
    either case will "work", but not perform.

    Quaoar, Mar 6, 2004

  3. bigwavedave

    bigwavedave Guest

    thanks, Q, but the only issues i have left to deal with are the 4
    toshiba ones. i have already spent considerable time at their site and
    hope to avoid doing so again; thus my lazy request to see if anyone
    else has been there, done that before. all the other driver issues at
    the other OEMs are easily discovered and i'm ready to download them.
    maybe toshiba wants me to buy a new computer? ;)

    david

    bigwavedave, Mar 6, 2004