    attached via an external enclosure like this?

    Thanks!

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Dec 3, 2003

  2. Size is only a problem with internal drives (basically if your ATA
    controller is ATA-5, then it can only address 128GB, newer models have ATA-6
    controllers which cope fine with bigger drives).
    If the drive is in an enclosure then the ATA controller that matters is
    the one actually in the enclosure.

    Fred

    Frederick Cheung, Dec 3, 2003

  3. Video Flyer

    Video Flyer Guest

    Excellent, thanks! (and thanks to Tacit, as well)

    Is anyone here able to recommend a good 3.5" dual USB2/FW400 enclosure? I'm
    doing a lot of browsing but I haven't located any good review source for
    this kind of thing and the only differences I see in the various enclosures
    (aside from cosmetic) are the prices and the fact that some companies
    actually do specify the controller chip.

    My understanding is that the Oxford 911 chip is the best thing going for
    Firewire. Is that true or just effective marketing? And is there a "best"
    chip for USB2?

    Thanks, again!

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Dec 3, 2003
  4. : I have two Macs - one is a G3/266 running (sluggishly, to be sure) 10.1.5
    : and the other is a G4/450 running 9.2.2 (it's my company's machine and they
    : don't want OS X installed on it yet although they're warming to the idea).

    : Anyway, I recently purchased a 200GB hard drive. It was too good a deal to
    : pass up and I figured I'd just purchase an external Firewire/USB dual
    : enclosure and be good to go. But, now I've been told that the G4 on 9.2.2
    : won't be able to recognize the full 200 gigs. Is that right?

    : What is the largest hard drive that can be recognized by the MacOS when
    : attached via an external enclosure like this?

    : Thanks!

    : Neal
    : --
    : "If morons could fly, it'd be pitch black." - Anonymous

    Neal,

    I'm in a similar situation. Two Macs, one runing 9.2.1 the other
    running 10.2. Each has a 200GB (LaCie) fire-wire external drive
    attached. Both computers show the full 200Gbytes capacity of the
    external drives. I've not had any problem accessing eiher drive.
    However, I've not tried to switch these drives between the two
    computers (because they are in different geographical locations).

    Hope this helps.

    Jose Conchello, Dec 4, 2003
  5. Video Flyer

    Daniel Cohen Guest

    More out of curiosity than need, how does one check which ATA version
    one has. A quick look with Apple System Profiler didn't seem to give
    this information, but maybe I was looking in the wrong place or couldn't
    interpret the information that is there.

    Daniel Cohen, Dec 4, 2003
  6. Video Flyer

    older one Guest

    older one, Dec 4, 2003
  7. Video Flyer

    older one Guest

  8. On panther (don't know about Jaguar off hand) if you open system profiler,
    and select ATA in the list of the left hand side it will then list you ATA
    buses on the RHS (on my computer it lists an ATA-3 bus to which the
    superdrive is attached and an ATA-6 bys)

    Fred

    Frederick Cheung, Dec 4, 2003
  9. Video Flyer

    Simon Slavin Guest

    Can you clarify: if he partitioned his drive into two disks
    would he then be able to access it all ?

    Simon Slavin, Dec 5, 2003
  10. The only thing that looks like more than one disk to a hard disk
    controller is more than one disk. The controller doesn't know or care
    about any data stored on the drives, including a partiion map. In
    other words, no.

    Jerry Kindall, Dec 5, 2003