    Also,I read a post somewhere that described "lapping" of the heatsink.What
    is this technique?

    TIA

    Bryan, Jan 17, 2004

  2. Bryan

    RobD Guest

    That is probably a bit warmer than what a 2.6 should run at, I'm at those
    temps with a P4 o/c to 3.6. What are your other temps? If they are low,
    you probably need to improve your heatsink cooling, if not then look at the
    case fans. Also, too much thermal grease on the hsf will trap the heat and
    cause high readings. If you want to learn about lapping, use google.
    Everyone has their own ideas on how to do it but one guide I found I liked
    is at:
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/heatsinklappingguide.php

    - Robert -

    RobD, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    thanks for the link and info

    Bryan, Jan 18, 2004
  4. Bryan

    Skid Guest

    Those aren't terrible. The stock cooler can't keep up much past 3.0, but if
    your temps don't get any higher than they are now and the system is stable,
    no need to sweat it.

    Remember that some boards read higher than others, and the Abit IC7/IS7
    series is notorious for adding about 10C and scaring people used to seeing
    lower temps.

    My 2.4 at 3.3 was maxing at 70C on the stock cooler under torture testing on
    a hot summer day, even lapped and using Artic Silver. But it was still
    stable. I plunked down $24 for a Vantec Aeroflow and now it tops out at 60C.

    You can try lapping if you want, but you're not likely to shave more than a
    degree or two. If your system is running like a dream as you say, you don't
    really need to change anything.

    Skid, Jan 18, 2004