    surveys were taken and the top 3 shows (not necessarily in this order)
    were "The Honeymooners", "I Love Lucy" and "Seinfeld". I can't/won't
    argue that either but I have my favorite <g>.

    RnR, Jul 1, 2007

  2. Steve

    Tom Scales Guest

    What most viewers didn't see was how incredibly political and somewhat
    vicious the show was towards the inept government of our time. If you
    watch it thinking about what was happening in this time period the
    satire is amazing. The writing staff is a who's who of 'soon to be
    greats'.

    I don't have the boxed set and for $200 it is a bit steep, but I may
    just have to spring for it.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jul 1, 2007

  3. Steve

    Tom Scales Guest

    I admit I've only watched a few episodes and not for years, but I
    disliked the Honeymooners. All I could see was a husband who
    continually threatened to beat his wife and treated everyone, including
    her, as scum. I didn't see any humor.

    Tom Scales, Jul 1, 2007
  4. Steve

    Ron Hardin Guest

    That's funny, I hated Gleason and Lucy both. Both tended too much towards
    soap opera (I realize they're far from hardcore women's soap opera), in that
    the content of the crisis involved the woman, rather than involving (as in
    Get Smart) the slaying of a dragon to save all of the goodness in mankind,
    on which the woman merely got the final say as to whether it was okay )and
    that ``merely'' was the focussing event of the series).

    Occasionally the script writers slipped up and 99 became the content of the
    episode's quest (``99 Loses Control'' for example) and then the genre noticeably
    shifted to something else.

    But as it usually was, Get Smart was a romance for guys, about the opposite of
    soap opera. The guy tackled only a single problem, and solved it, and saved
    the world and won the lady ; even if he screwed up.

    Ron Hardin, Jul 1, 2007
  5. Steve

    Ron Hardin Guest

    My father always laughed at those, though I found and find them cheap shots.

    The series is full of allusions, conscious and unconscious in the writers'
    heads. $200 is the best buy I've ever made for $200, probably ; but I was
    one wondering for years why it wasn't out on DVD. They really did a nice
    job on it, productionwise, too.

    Most obscure allusion : Hymie the robot talks offhand about what he had done
    that morning, mentioning stopping to pick buttercups -- an allusion to
    an episode in Tootle, the childrens' book probably of the 40s or 50s.

    Fang (canine agent 13) blowing out the candle on the bomb when they sang
    happy birthday to him, is an allusion to Cat Ballou.

    And so forth, probably you can find hundreds of them, depending on what
    you remember from the 60s.

    But its organizing fact is 99, who in fact has only modest roles in the
    dragon-slaying that goes on, who gets to say at the end that it was well
    enough done to suit her. She makes the genre that Get Smart is.

    Ron Hardin, Jul 1, 2007
  6. Steve

    Ron Hardin Guest

    I think the legend is that you need a deep discharge marine battery for UPS
    use (assuming you can find a suitable charging mechanism in the UPS); car
    batteries don't like being run flat.

    Ron Hardin, Jul 1, 2007
  7. Steve

    RnR Guest

    Well not exactly correct unless you take it out of context. If you
    watch a lot of the episodes and watch the endings as well, he
    basically is letting off steam either at his wife or best friend but
    by the end of every episode, he admits to being either a jerk or a big
    mouth and saying his wife is the greatest. In fact I think in every
    ending (or most) you see him hugging her and kissing her as the show
    fades to black.

    But I understand if you don't agree with me. It's not a big deal....
    it's just a tv show <g>.

    RnR, Jul 1, 2007
  8. Steve

    Bill Gross Guest

    Why Tom, you mean you failed to recognized one of the leading
    feminists in the last century? A fellow who was pushing for women to
    take a lead in the Race to the Moon well before NASA had hired its
    first seven astronauts. Those seven were all male.

    Bill Gross, Jul 1, 2007
  9. Steve

    w_tom Guest

    Been driving Hondas for 30 years. My first Honda only got 5 years.
    But then back then, original batteries rarely lasted more than 3
    years. After that, every Honda was doing seven to nine years on its
    first battery.

    Meanwhile, a typical plug-in UPS does everything as cheap as
    possible. Even replacing its battery may cost more than buying a new
    UPS. These UPS batteries in perfectly ideal situations (not even used
    every day) typically last three years.

    Current standard for lead acid batteries in high reliability
    facilities is reported to be less than 20 years. A plug-in UPS only
    gets maybe 3? But then Barbara Feldon and Honeymooners now appear to
    be more popular subjects. If Maxwell only knew what his equations
    would lead to (ie cone of silence).

    w_tom, Jul 1, 2007
  10. Steve

    Sudohnim Guest

    -snip-
    Yes, it came out sounding funny, but I figured most could look
    beyond that. Barry's assertion is actually pretty serious, and
    although most may be simply dismissing it, I figured someone
    ought to give him an opportunity to substantiate it so to speak.

    Sudohnim, Jul 1, 2007
  11. Steve

    Notan Guest

    Get Smart trivia: Do the names "Thaddeus" and "Susan Hilton" ring a bell?

    Notan, Jul 2, 2007
  12. Steve

    Journey Guest

    They don't ring a bell, at least not without using Google but that
    would be cheating :)

    Journey, Jul 2, 2007
  13. Steve

    Ron Hardin Guest

    One is the Chief's first name, came up under cross examination once, and
    when the Chief met an old girlfriend.

    The other 99 claimed was her name, but it was a fake name. Even the
    wedding had a disturbance cover her name so that she was always 99.

    Also not named Ernestine.

    There's no trivia if you have the DVD.

    Ron Hardin, Jul 2, 2007