(urgent advice needed) "authorized" repair centers

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Oleg Trott, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. Oleg Trott

    Oleg Trott Guest

    I'm trying to have my laptop fixed, and I was directed by Fujitsu customer
    service to their "authorized repair center" here in NYC (Datavision). I had
    the machine for 11 months, and the warranty is supposed to be for 3 years
    (E-series).

    Anyway, having given them the laptop, I have serious second thoughts:
    without going into detail, I felt like I was being a victim of a scam just
    talking to the [blind] receptionist there.

    I think I should get my machine back and get competetive quotes from
    non-warranty repair centers instead. How can I find ones in NYC that repair
    Fujitsu Lifebooks?

    www.google.com and www.bigyellow.com weren't too helpful: they give either
    too much or too little, and I tried some elaborate searches with google.
    BigYellow seems to be filled with dead links or web sites that just want to
    collect your data.

    Thanks

    Oleg Trott, Sep 18, 2003

  2. Oleg Trott

    Quaoar Guest

    Many laptops vendors use the "Authorized Repair Center", a contracted
    repair operation. Toshiba uses contract centers in some locations, and
    I have been very pleased. From my experience these are at least as good
    as sending the repair to the OEM, if not actually much better, much
    faster, and have actual human beings that will answer questions and very
    likely boot the repaired machine for your approval. These are warranty
    centers, so if directed to it by the vendor, that is likely your only
    warranty option. Additionally, most vendors supply OEM parts only to
    their own or contracted service centers. Going anywhere else for repair
    will be a parts crapshoot, not to mention little things like training,
    assembly manuals, diagnostic tools, and warranty.

    BTW, good on Datavision for hiring a blind person.

    Quaoar, Sep 19, 2003

  3. Oleg Trott

    Oleg Trott Guest

    I wasn't allowed to talk to a technician or anyone in charge of making
    decisions.
    I'm a deep believer in that when there is no competition, there can be no
    quality, not to mention fair pricing (if I'm denied serivce under
    warranty).
    If I were Fujitsu, wouldn't I want more repairmen capable of fixing my
    products? Unless I had part of the "autorized repair center" action, I
    would. Otherwise, I might be interested in them being a monopoly.

    Oleg Trott, Sep 19, 2003
  4. Oleg Trott

    myaveratec Guest

    I wouldn't knock them for that. I give credit to any company that cares
    enough to help those with special challenges.
    Why don't you wait and see what happens? If they're authorized by Fujitsu,
    then they've met some important criteria. Allow them a fair opportunity to
    meet your repair needs, see what happens, then take this to the next level
    if necessary.

    myaveratec, Sep 20, 2003