    My Computer is a Compaq Deskpro ENS P550 and i am running Windows
    2000 Professional!...do you have any suggestions? :idea: ...please
    help... :) ...

    Cobber, Mar 4, 2005

  2. Cobber

    Ben Myers Guest

    The DeskPro ENS is most likely from back in the USB 1.0 days, maybe USB 1.1.

    The most important element of USB device compatibility is whether or not it
    draws its own power from the USB port. If so, the port MUST be USB 2.0. Some
    of those USB thumb drives work just fine with USB 1.1, because they draw almost
    no power. One of my clients tried and external USB compact flash reader on a
    lovely, but older IBM ThinkPad. The reader did not work with the USB 1.1 of the
    Thinkpad... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 4, 2005

  3. Cobber

    RWM Guest

    On the older (some newer, too) Thinkpads, look for a USB2 device with an
    external PS2 power dongle.

    Some external USB HD require more power to start and run than USB alone
    can deliver; the 7K60 drives require 1.1A.

    - RWM

    RWM, Mar 4, 2005