    You can cal a good ole US citizen and get crappy advice or you can
    call someone working overseas and get good advice. What you get in
    the way of tech support is not a function of where you call.

    Bill, Feb 4, 2004

  2. I had my first experience of an overseas Call Centre today!!

    Nothing to do with Dell or Computers, but I was contacting my UK Bank.

    Had a very noisy & poor quality connection. The Operator continually
    kept getting my Name wrong, also was clearly just trying to read from a
    script rather than listen/believe what I was telling her!! (Some
    Authorisations had changed, without my knowledge/permission, on my
    account & I was trying to correct it).

    Eventually had to be transferred back to my UK Bank.

    Regards,
    John

    John J. Burness, Feb 4, 2004

  3. Bill

    BWL Guest

    To be fair, there is alot of crappy U.S.-based tech support, but my
    experiences with Dell's overseas support have been terrible, and I would
    never catagorize all, or even most, overseas support as "good". Most of the
    "techs" I ended up dealing with gave me the same, lazy, no-brain advice
    Compaq gave you. Except that in your case, you could understand at least
    25% of what they said...

    BWL, Feb 5, 2004
  4. Bill

    S.Lewis Guest

    Necessarily.

    S.Lewis, Feb 5, 2004
  5. Bill

    Guest Guest

    Well...just had to chime in on this issue because I have been on the support
    side of it and perhaps it's sour grapes, but...

    As a former tech support analyst for HP I personally trained the person that
    was taking my job back with him to his home country of India. I was very
    good at my job and the customers that I dealt with were all very happy with
    the service that I gave them but that wasn't enough to save my job. I can't
    fault HP, as they were getting a tech that was making less than a 1/4 of
    what I was being paid, so from an economic standpoint, HP was making a wise
    business decision. However, I have kept up with things in my former
    business unit and not one of the customers that I dealt with has expressed
    satisfaction with tech support as it currently stands. They refuse to call
    for help because the responding tech is barely intelligible due to the very
    thick accents that many of the foreign tech agents have. This is perhaps
    the reason that HP is once again hiring American based English speaking
    support personnel again, but unfortunately it's for contract work and the
    pay is oftentimes 1/2 of what it was 3 years ago.

    BTW- the young man I trained was very smart but the learning curve for him
    vis a vis computers was very steep. He had very little experience and it
    was obvious that this was going to be quite the experience for him and his
    customers!

    TGunnD

    Guest, Feb 5, 2004
  6. Bill

    Jay Chan Guest

    You can cal a good ole US citizen and get crappy advice or you can
    I had the similar experience in a money transfer computer system in my
    old banking job. Although the US tech support people were polite, they
    were not helpful if the problem was a bit complicated. That was a 24
    hours help line. Tech support people from a far east country would
    pick up the line when US was in the evening. Thing got so bad that we
    needed to intentionally stay late in the office to wait for the
    oversea tech support to pick up the line because the oversea tech
    support were much better.

    Personally, I don't care much about the tech support has Indian accent
    or not. As long as she can give me the information I want, I will pay
    attention to what she said. If the first time I don't quite
    understand, I will ask again. Of course, if she can speak perfect
    English, that will be nice; but I don't think this is absolutely
    necessary. Afterall, we are talking about getting tech support, we are
    not talking about hiring a language school teacher.

    Jay Chan

    Jay Chan, Feb 5, 2004
  7. Bill

    Leythos Guest

    You are wrong for the majority of issues that people call support for.
    If all you need is a script based answer then Off-shore is the cheaper
    way for the supporting company to do, but if you need some real help,
    then you are less likely to get it from an off-shore company.

    I've been doing this for more than 20 years and I sent my fair share of
    work overseas, but I've moved most of it back to the US. When it comes
    to cookie cutter stuff, anywhere will do, but when it comes to
    troubleshooting and to being creative then the US people have it hands
    down.

    Leythos, Feb 5, 2004