    without having to install that Service Pack crap? :eek:)

    Ciao,
    Franco

    Franco Tiratore, Apr 12, 2006

  2. Franco Tiratore

    sittingduck Guest

    The cd that the motherboard came with has the driver. I imagine Asus has them
    online as well.

    sittingduck, Apr 12, 2006

  3. Franco Tiratore

    sittingduck Guest

    sittingduck, Apr 12, 2006
  4. Ciao Sittingduck, thanks for your help but...

    I had already searched the web with Google and the situation *seems*
    clear. Asus installation cd does not include any USB 2.0 driver.
    During the installation I get a message: "You need Microsoft Service
    Pack 1blabla....". But why the hell?!? :eek:) I DO NOT WANT to install
    the entire Service Pack crap (300 megs) for a tiny USB 2.0 driver!
    Isn't there any way out?

    Ciao,
    Franco

    Franco Tiratore, Apr 12, 2006
  5. Franco Tiratore

    John Lewis Guest

    Exactly what is crap about the Service packs, since other than the SP2

    firewall installation, most of the rest are legitimate security fixes,
    driver updates ( Inc. USB 2.0) and bug fixes ? And you can disable the
    Windows firewall in the UI. Plus, if you are on dialup only, afaik you
    can still freely order an update CD from M$$ which contains the bulk
    of the updates -- search their website. I have one of those CDs.

    Unless, of course, you really don't want to have to deal with the
    validation check now required to download the updates.....

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Apr 12, 2006
  6. Franco Tiratore

    Faccio Guest

    Hai ragione: ho la tua stessa MB e all'installazione dei driver usb2 rimanda
    a SPack di Windows...
    Volevo chiederti se hai provato a far gestire da un ampli dolby digital il
    segnale audio in uscita dalle porte coax e opti della MB? si riesce ad
    ottenere un segnale dolby digital su queste uscite? Nonostante tutti i
    tentativi fatti il segnale che a me viene fuori è solo stereo.
    Ciao. Faccio

    Faccio, Apr 12, 2006
  7. Franco Tiratore

    Bob Doran Guest

    Beautiful... just beautiful

    Bob Doran, Apr 13, 2006
  8. Franco Tiratore

    Faccio Guest

    You can probe with the ASUS drivers of an other Asus MB. Write me if you
    need those drivers.
    Ciao, Facccio.

    Faccio, Apr 13, 2006

  9. My system runs smoothly and I need only the USB 2.0 drivers.
    I cannot conceive that I have to download and install a 200+ meg
    package for this purpose. And of course I'm running on a dialup 56k
    modem (there's no broad band service in my town), but this is not the
    main point of the question.
    Why does M$ forbid the motherboard manufacturers to include a simple
    USB 2.0 driver in their installation packages/home pages?!?!?!

    Ciao,
    Franco

    Franco Tiratore, Apr 13, 2006
  10. Sorry, never tried so far....
    Maybe if you repost your message in English someone else can solve
    your problem.

    Ciao,
    Franco

    Franco Tiratore, Apr 13, 2006

  11. ???????
    I don't get the meaning of these posts.

    Franco

    Franco Tiratore, Apr 13, 2006
  12. Franco Tiratore

    JimL Guest

    We don't know.

    JimL, Apr 13, 2006
  13. Franco Tiratore

    John Lewis Guest

    Please stop moaning and go here:-

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

    order it in any country and any language.

    Just pay shipping.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Apr 13, 2006
  14. Franco Tiratore

    Ray Guest

    I have USB 2.0 drivers on the Asus install CD I received with the
    motherboard.

    Ray

    Ray, Apr 13, 2006
  15. Franco Tiratore

    Bob Doran Guest

    My point exactly.

    Bob Doran, Apr 14, 2006
  16. Franco Tiratore

    Bob Doran Guest

    Because I believe the Win32 kernal requires modification to support USB 2.0,
    and the kernal update requires the service pack.

    Bob Doran, Apr 14, 2006
  17. The USB 2.0 driver is not provided by the motherboard manufacturer, it's
    a standard interface (EHCI) and is provided by the OS.

    Robert Hancock, Apr 16, 2006
  18. USB, has a whole 'suite' of drivers involved. You have the one to actually
    'drive' the card, then a whole set of others that form the complete USB
    I/O subsystem (port, print, hub etc. etc..). Now people did offer 'USB2'
    drivers before SP2, but these in general had problems, usually with device
    enumeration. As said above, SP2 introduced changes into these 'core'
    subsystem drivers, to support USB2, and this suite as a whole, contains
    perhaps 80% MS components. I had a 'beta' set of this SP2 USB support, and
    it was over 15MB, on it's own, and still had a few problems, till some
    further changes were made. In many cases, small changes in one 'driver',
    require tweaks further 'upstream', and installing parts, is a fairly sure
    way of no longer having a 'robust' system.
    MS, is quite happy for manufacturers to supply 'USB2' drivers for their
    cards (several do supply 'updated' drivers that give better handling of
    particular chipsets), but most will not work fully/correctly, without the
    changes made in the core OS by SP2.
    So the 'SP2 USB2 drivers', _require_ large parts of the rest of SP2.

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Apr 17, 2006