    133 drive so now I am confused as to whether this is operating at USB
    2.0 which I thought was 480 Mbit/s which = 60 MB/s ??

    Help please !

    Ian, Jul 10, 2004

  2. Ian

    Rod Bartlett Guest

    This is close to 7.5 times faster than the theoretical maximum for USB
    1.1 so your external drive is definitely operating as a USB 2.0 device.
    The 480 Mb/s maximum for USB 2.0 is the speed without overhead. It
    would be impossible for a single device to achieve that full throughput
    rate. To get anywhere close, you'd need a device which was capable of
    streaming data with no intervention. The latency of issuing disk
    commands across USB is going to have a detrimental effect on throughput
    rates.

    The theoretical maximum for USB 1.1 is 12 Mb/s but in practice, you
    can't get more than around 9 Mb/s. There's just too much overhead in
    the USB protocol.

    - Rod

    Rod Bartlett, Aug 19, 2004