USB 2.0 Host controller chip for Linux

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Steve, Jan 29, 2008.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hi,

    I have some confusion over the degree of SW/HW interaction in USB Host
    controllers.

    I have an FPGA design which runs Windriver Linux. I would like to add
    to the PCB a USB 2.0 host controller chip whose sole purpose in life
    is to perform everything required to get from the PHY to EHCI. I would
    then like to map the EHCI registers to the Linux kernel; so that I
    should not have to write a device driver. Linux should handle the
    majority of the USB protocol's signalling and the chip the majority of
    the physical layer stuff.

    Is the above valid?

    It seems, however, that whenever I try and search for such a chip, I
    either get 1) monolithic peripheral/device chip (that I do not want)
    2) Host chips with a PCI interface (which are okay, but I would like
    one specifically designed with a host interface), 3) Some intermediate
    chip, either a USB host but without the EHCI interface, or a large and
    costly microcontroller.

    The question I have therefore is that, given my understanding of the
    problem and assuming it is correct, what chip can I get to fit this
    role?

    Kind regards,

    Stephen

    Steve, Jan 29, 2008

  2. There is a lot of both.
    Seems reasonable.
    Obviously, most USB Host controllers are aimed at the
    PC market... but then the software stack for a USB host
    is ... large. Even without the individual class/peripheral
    drivers.

    Unless you want to write a *lot* of driver software, you
    definitely want to have a host controller with an ECHI
    compliant interface. (Or OHCI for USB 1.1)
    If a PCI interface is OK, then use that ... that will
    let you take advantage of the PC market and keep the
    costs down, although I image that ECHI host controllers
    are being built into the supporting chip sets these
    days.

    good luck,
    mike

    --
    Michael N. Moran (h) 770 516 7918
    5009 Old Field Ct. (c) 678 521 5460

    "So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains
    and we never even know we have the key."
    "Already Gone" by Jack Tempchin (recorded by The Eagles)

    The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1

    Michael N. Moran, Jan 30, 2008