USB 2.0 PCI card for Asus CUSL2 motherboard

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Fisher, Sep 30, 2005.

  1. Fisher

    Fisher Guest

    Hi

    Processor:
    800 megahertz Intel Pentium III
    32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

    Operating System:
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

    Mother board:
    Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. CUSL2 REV 1.02
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS CUSL2 ACPI BIOS Revision 1001.A
    06/21/2000

    The motherboard has 2 USB connectors which are not USB 2.0
    Bus Adapters
    Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442
    Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444

    I intend to add a USB 2.0 PCI card to this motherboard.

    Could someone advice me what would be the right PCI card that would work
    with this M/B.

    Note: I tried a USB 2.0 PCI 2port card ..with ALI chipset and it never
    worked..drivers were not installed properly.
    I have now removed the card from the system.

    Thank You

    Uraks

    Fisher, Sep 30, 2005

  2. Fisher

    Paul Guest

    Try a card with a NEC chip on it. They have the best
    reputation. I believe at least one Adaptec USB card
    I looked at used a NEC chip. You can use the pictures
    of the USB cards on the Newegg site, to figure out
    which other brands of cards are also using a NEC chip.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=73&Submit=Property

    Click the "View Pic" link, to see a picture of a
    card. I use the Newegg site just for the pictures, but
    I cannot buy anything from them because I am in Canada.

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 30, 2005

  3. Fisher

    Peter Guest

    I have a TUSL2 (same board, only with Tualatin support) and
    haven't had any problems with an ADS Tech USB 2.0 card:
    http://www.adstech.com/products/USB_Turbo_2.0/intro/usb2.0.asp?pid=USBX-2000

    As long as the card has the standard NEC controller, the card
    brand shouldn't matter much, or at all. It will be able to use
    Microsoft's USB 2.0 driver.

    Peter, Sep 30, 2005
  4. Fisher

    BigJIm Guest

    the reason most of the time a pci card doesn't work is a slot conflict.
    so move the card to a different slot and try it.

    BigJIm, Sep 30, 2005
  5. Fisher

    Brad Clarke Guest

    The ALI chipset is probably the worst USB 2.0 chipset available, closely
    followed by the Via VT6202 USB 2.0 chipset.

    Look for a USB 2.0 card that uses the NEC chipset.

    I have a Vantec UGT-PC205 in one of my machines (older AOpen board) and
    it works flawlessly.

    http://www.vantecusa.com/p_ugt_pc205.html

    Brad Clarke, Oct 1, 2005