USB 2.0 support on CUSL2

Discussion in 'Asus' started by MnM, Oct 1, 2006.

  1. MnM

    MnM

    Hi,

    I've an older system with a CUSL2 (Intel 815E chipset) board. The board came with 3 USB ports. I'm trying to add support for USB 2.0. I put a USB 2.0 PCI card in the last PCI slot on the board. When I booted the machine, the card was ready to go. (I'm running XP Pro SP2.)

    However, I'm having trouble connecting USB 2.0 devices to the card. So far I've tried connecting a flash drive and my iPod. In both cases, the device gets detected by Windows, but explorer freezes and cannot show the contents of the devices. The software for the devices have the same problem: they don't detect them.

    In the event viewer, I see the following warnings/errors:

    - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation.

    - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\D.

    Interestingly enough, if I connect a USB 1.1 device to the USB 2.0 card, everything is fine: the device shows up in explorer, can be used, etc.

    Questions:

    1) Does CUSL2 support USB 2.0? Do I need a BIOS upgrade? Do I need to change some settings in the BIOS to make it support USB 2.0?

    2) I've bought an external drive to back up my data. Does the Intel 815E chipset support external USB 2.0 drives? The drive says that it's backwards compatible with USB 1.1 as well.

    Thank you in advance!

    MnM, Oct 1, 2006