    Thanks in Advance.

    Regards,
    Vishal

    Vishal Sharma, Oct 22, 2007

  2. Vishal Sharma

    gerryt Guest

    This topic comes up every 2 months or so. You have to live with it
    as its low bandwidth USB meant for keyboards and mice.
    I believe the hardware manual covers this point somewhere.
    Consider going to docs.sun.com and downloading the hardware reference
    manual
    for the 280R

    For more speed buy a USB 2.0 card from Belkin or Addonics.
    The Addonics card will gooble up your only 66Mhz PCI slot though.
    I would not suggest looking to Firewire - it does run at 400mbs
    but I have experienced poor reliability in the past and found that
    when it
    was working it was not perceptively faster than USB...

    gerryt, Oct 22, 2007

  3. Vishal Sharma

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    [ ... ]
    I got a cheap four-port USB 2.0 card from the local Micro
    Center, and it works fine in my Ultra-60. (But the most of external
    "disk" devices that I use it for is reading CF cards from my camera.
    Also -- the FireWire ports are covered by a welded-on cover on
    the Sun Fire 280R, and I think are not recognized anyway (perhaps keying
    on whether the internal Fibre Channel drives are IDs 0 & 1 (Sun Fire
    280R) or 1 & 2 (Sun Blade 2000).

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Oct 22, 2007
  4. I don't have expreience on Sun hardware, but for my other hardware
    (mostly Macs, some PCs) the firewire interface external drives I have
    beat USB 2.0 drives by a large factor. FW800 interface ones even more so.

    This could be more evened out by now, as I've tended to stay with firewire
    instead, but I doubt it. Thats why I think eSATA has started to take
    off in a big way, since USB 2.0 drives are pretty pathetic at speed.
    (And firewire has fallen off the external drive market for the most
    part as well.. Market driven.. :(

    Doug McIntyre, Oct 22, 2007
  5. Vishal Sharma

    gerryt Guest

    At least you admit you dont have any "expreience"... : >
    Well duh its 2X "faster" than 400. And as far as I know totally
    unsupported
    on SPARC.
    I did not know that the E280R was welded shut.
    Strange that. No matter. At one point I borrowed some Solaris Express
    drivers
    and got Firewire working but a patch over-rode the change. While it
    was
    working I did not notice any difference in speed so when the Firewire
    ceased
    to function again I went back to USB where patches dont break anything
    - so far : >

    The Firewire drive was moved to the iMac G5 : /
    It depends on what you "need". At the time USB 2.0 was adequate for
    me:
    just a place to put stuff not often looked at.

    SATA is definitely a better choice than USB on a Blade 2000 or E280R.
    I never saw Firewire as a contender as only Apple seemed to adopt it
    with any conviction. And the price point was not competitive to USB.

    gerryt, Oct 22, 2007