USB controller and driver for iSight inside iMac(G5)?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Torge Anders, Jun 19, 2006.

  1. Torge Anders

    Torge Anders Guest

    Hello!

    I'm having some problems with very low frame rates with my USB-connected
    webcam on my Mac Mini. The camera is a XA-040 (from X-Tensions) which
    uses a Sonix SN9C102 controller.

    I just found out that the iSight webcam built into the G5 iMac is
    connected via the USB-port internally - so there should be a USB webcam
    driver residing somewhere inside Mac OSX.

    Depending on the USB controller Apple uses in these USB webcams, perhaps
    other 3rd party webcams (with the same controller) could utilize these
    drivers as well?!

    So, here's my question: Which USB controller is used by the iMac's
    iSight? Where could the driver be residing inside MacOSX?

    I'd be thankful for any hints!

    Bye, Torge.

    Torge Anders, Jun 19, 2006

  2. I don't know.
    I'd look in the usual place, the USB family in the extensions folder:

    /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext

    If you look in there you can find a likely candidate:

    Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBVideoSupport.kext

    IOXperts will sell you a web cam driver. <http://ioxperts.com>, it
    works with a wide variety of cameras.

    Barry Twycross, Jun 21, 2006

  3. Torge Anders

    Simon Slavin Guest

    No. The driver not only has to understand USB, it has to understand how
    to access the iSight hardware. It's unlikely that a driver for the iSight
    will also work with your camera.

    Simon.

    Simon Slavin, Jun 21, 2006
  4. Torge Anders

    Torge Anders Guest

    Hi Barry, and thanks for your answer to my posting!

    Okay, found that one. Had a look inside the Info.plist, but I only found
    the vendor to be Apple (id 1452) and the product id to be 33536.

    I thought, by having a look inside the driver, I could find something
    like a hint on a standard webcam controller. But it looks like I'll have
    to wait on someone with insider information (or someone who was able to
    read something written on the controller itself).
    I DO have a working driver for my cam - and the IOXperts driver does not
    seem to support my webcam (or other models I know of having the same
    controller: the Macally IceCam, the Genius WebCAM Eye, the D-Link
    DSB-C110 or the RadioShack DigiGr8 (v2)).

    Bye, Torge.

    Torge Anders, Jun 22, 2006
  5. Torge Anders

    Torge Anders Guest

    That's exactly what I'm trying to find out.

    I can't imagine that Apple would develop a completely new webcam
    controller for a piece of hardware like that. I would think that they'd
    use a somewhat standard controller - possibly adjusted to their
    individual needs at some extent.

    Bye, Torge.

    Torge Anders, Jun 22, 2006