    trevaaaaaaa Guest

    USB device remains powered after system has been shutdown on
    GA-945P-S3. Is there a setting to stop this happening.

    trevaaaaaaa, Oct 18, 2006

  2. trevaaaaaaa

    greysky Guest

    Not really. You can try leaving it unplugged for a bit, but it's no
    guarantee. Sometimes the logic gates get stuck in the 'on' position when the
    device gets turned off. On my DS3 a LED remains lit on an external USB hub -
    it doesn't hurt anything, but can be an annoyance...

    greysky, Oct 20, 2006

  3. trevaaaaaaa

    trevaaaaaaa Guest

    According to Gigabyte, the usb bus still being powered after system
    shutdown is "Gigabyte design. Please unplug the power cord and this
    will switch off the USB".

    Which is really useful

    trevaaaaaaa, Oct 21, 2006
  4. It's done for a reason .... there are situations in which a USB device
    (keyboard, mouse, USB modem, etc.) is expected to wake or "turn on" the
    computer. So I think that all motherboards have a provision to get the
    5 volt supply for the USB ports (or at least some of them) from the 5
    volt standby power source, which is always on (ALWAYS ... as long as the
    computer is plugged in and the master switch on the back is not turned off).

    However, many motherboards have a jumper so that you can choose to power
    the USB ports and/or the keyboard/mouse (PS/2) ports from either 5vsb
    (always on) or the main 5 volt power rail (turns off with the computer).

    Gigabyte may not have such an option (unfortunate if that's the case).
    Or, one other possibility, only some of the USB ports are continuously
    powered.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 21, 2006
  5. trevaaaaaaa

    trevaaaaaaa Guest

    Thanks Barry

    Yes I think you are right, I recall seeing a jumper on another mobo for
    this, it's a shame there isn't one on this particular mobo.

    Thanks for all replies

    trevaaaaaaa, Oct 21, 2006