    when I type c:, it goes to the pen drive since my actual fixed drive is NTFS
    formatted and DOS won't recognize it of course.

    Also, is this what USB emulation is all about?

    win in ram, Aug 23, 2005

  2. win in ram

    Ben Myers Guest

    If the motherboard BIOS supports booting from a USB drive, you will have the
    option to select it in the BIOS setup. The pen drive also needs to be set up as
    a bootable DOS drive (FORMAT <drive letter> /S), so the BIOS can recognize it as
    such.

    If booting from the USB drive is either not possible or not what you want to do,
    go to Google and search using the keywords USB DOS and drivers. You will find
    drivers to help you do what you want... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 23, 2005

  3. win in ram

    win in ram Guest

    First of all, been there done that just to let you know. Secondly, if I put
    the USB drive in the USB port before turning on my PC, wouldn't the BIOS
    (Dell Dimension 2400 or 3000) first treat it as a fixed drive regardless of
    whether or not the drive is bootable so that if I booted off a win98se OEM
    cd, the usb drive would be accessed as drive c:\ ? Doesn't the BIOS
    eliminate the need to use USB drivers in DOS by tricking the OS into
    thinking the drive is a fixed hard disk (int13) and isn't that what USB
    emulation from the BIOS is all about?

    win in ram, Aug 23, 2005
  4. win in ram

    S.Lewis Guest

    Good Lord, man, just *do* it, will you?

    If you're smart enough to need this function, then you should beeasily smart
    enough to make it work by googling the question.....

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 23, 2005
  5. win in ram

    Ben Myers Guest

    Okay, you've been somewhere and done something. Not too specific.
    In a word, NO! Any USB drive must be bootable for the BIOS to do anything at
    all with it. So make it bootable.
    Once again, in a word, NO! Unless the USB drive is bootable.

    In short, your choices are to make the USB drive bootable or to boot from
    another device, installing the necessary DOS-mode USB drivers or TSRs between
    CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to find the USB drive and to give it a drive letter.
    That's about all I can suggest, because there are no other options.

    Keep in mind that the designers of modern motherboard BIOSes give USB-DOS access
    just a few picoseconds of thought during the early stages of development, not
    enough to provide any significant DOS-related features. Or, in other words, the
    motherboard manufacturers think DOS is dead, whether it is or not... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 23, 2005
  6. win in ram

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ben Myers, Aug 23, 2005
  7. win in ram

    win in ram Guest

    Sheesh, Ben, nobody's perfect. Just because I'm new to USB booting doesn't
    mean you have to be so brash about it.

    win in ram, Aug 24, 2005
  8. win in ram

    win in ram Guest

    Excuse me but I already know about googling a question but since I couldn't
    find the answer I was looking for, I have a right to ask.
    Instead of posting condescending replies and wasting bandwidth, either post
    a relevant response to the question or don't post at all. I already made it
    clear that if I had found the answer to what I asked on google I wouldn't be
    asking already ! Learn some manners and respect, sir !

    win in ram, Aug 24, 2005
  9. win in ram

    Ben Myers Guest

    Hey, you been there and done that. To quote. Stew's right. I googled the
    words USB and DOS. The second entry was the very excellent bootdisk web site
    with all the answers needed... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 24, 2005