USB external drive dismount eject problem

Discussion in 'Apple' started by seeker, Aug 25, 2008.

  1. seeker

    seeker Guest

    I'm using an external USB drive as a backup and the software program
    Data Backup from Prosoft to back up my internal HD.

    Almost every time I do a backup or restore and it completes
    successfully, I wait for my drive to finish working and try to eject it.
    The system will not let me eject the drive, saying that I need to close
    applications using the drive. Data Backup is closed.

    I've turned off the drive and removed it after it is no longer working
    but I always get a system error that the disk was not removed properly
    and data could be lost. I haven't seen any problems but I¹d prefer to
    remove the drive properly.

    I'm wondering if there is something in the system hanging on the drive
    that I can find using Activity Monitor but I don't know what to look for
    and I just don't want to start shutting down processes randomly. Any
    suggestions?

    seeker, Aug 25, 2008

  2. Martin Krischik, Aug 25, 2008