USB flash drives & photo printing kiosks

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by ps56k, Apr 7, 2011.

  1. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    I have a small USB flash/thumb drive on my keychain
    that I use for a variety of uses... just in case type things.

    Anyway - I have repeatedly had problems
    with using any of my USB flash drives
    with a variety of photo printing kiosks at the local stores....
    the Kodak one, along with the other brand-x types.

    It's not just my single keychain flash,
    it's any of the different brands laying around the house -
    always have a problem reading them in the kiosk.
    In fact, I'm sure that at one point,
    one of my flash drives was trashed by a kiosk,
    and is no longer even recognized by our laptops.

    I usually try to print - have problems reading the drive,
    come home and re-copy the photo files to an extra SD Card
    and go back and use the SD Card, which works just fine.
    It's not even a large 2GB+ drive size issue,
    some are 2GB drives or 1GB, some are more.

    Anyone else had probs with using USB drives & the kiosks ????

    ps56k, Apr 7, 2011

  2. ps56k

    Daddy Guest

    If I owned such a kiosk I would do everything to prevent my kiosk from
    being infected by someone's USB drive.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Apr 7, 2011

  3. ps56k

    ray Guest

    If you don't insist on MS, it's generally not much of a problem.

    ray, Apr 7, 2011
  4. ps56k

    Better Info Guest

    Which is odd, because many USB flash drives use micro-SD format chips in
    them (or seem to), and SD cards seem to work according to the OP. My
    keychain flash-drive just uses interchangeable Micro-SD/HC cards. The whole
    thing is just the width of a USB plug/port's contacts, not even including a
    USB plug's external width, and about two times as long as the
    contacts'-width. Much smaller than the average key on a keychain. The only
    drawback with it being so small, is that I accidentally left it in a
    notebook I was repairing for a friend's friend, and had to call them when
    they got home to remind them to find it and take it out to return it. They
    didn't even notice it plugged in until I told them to look for it. The same
    way that I didn't even notice I had left it plugged in to begin with.

    Better Info, Apr 7, 2011
  5. ps56k

    ~misfit~ Guest

    What's to infect Daddy? A *nix system that boots from a ROM chip? (Hint: ROM
    = Read Only Memory.)

    Some people take paranoia to the next level....
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

    ~misfit~, Apr 8, 2011
  6. ps56k

    Dave Cohen Guest

    No.

    Dave Cohen, Apr 10, 2011
  7. ps56k

    Allen Guest

    I've used several different brands (sizes ranging from 256 Mb--really
    really old--up to 8 Gb) in the kiosks at CostCo and Wolf Camera (part of
    Ritz Camera) with no problems. The USBs have survived and as far as I
    know, so have the kiosks. If there was any damage to the kiosks it
    probably been brought to my attention.
    Allen

    Allen, Apr 10, 2011
  8. ps56k

    mm Guest

    Have you talked to the people at the kiosk?

    My credit/debit card wouldn't work as a credit card at one chain of
    gas stations and when I asked inside, the manager said that happened
    with Bank of America, and Maryland Federal Credit Union..

    mm, May 9, 2011