    desperate to get back to playing Doom 3.

    Can anyone advise?

    Mucho appreciato!

    Typhoid, Dec 11, 2004

  2. On the seventh day, Typhoid wrote...
    On modern systems, there are none user-serviceable parts, i.e. not even
    fuses. You have to use warranty services. Hope your system ist still new
    enough for replacement.

    HTH

    Christian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=FCrrhauer?=, Dec 11, 2004

  3. Typhoid

    Typhoid Guest

    Christian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=FCrrhauer?= wrote...
    Thanks for that. I was very tempted to break the warranty seal.

    Typhoid, Dec 11, 2004
  4. USB ports come in 100 ma and 500 ma versions, with the 100 ma generally being
    limited to laptops and unpowered hubs. They're fused or current-limited on
    a per-port basis. The fact that all the ports went out indicates more serious
    problems.

    I don't think opening up the case to look at the motherboard would invalidate
    the warranty, since you need to do that to add PCI cards.

    First choice is to get it fixed under warranty, which is a hassle and may result
    in your hard disk losing whatever you've loaded. A more expedient approach is
    to buy a USB 2.0 card, which are in the $20 range. Before doing anything, check
    your Device Manager for any driver problems with USB, since the power to the ports
    can be under software control on some hardware.

    -Dave

    David Kinsell, Dec 11, 2004
  5. Typhoid

    craigm Guest

    Another option may be to buy a powered USB hub.

    craigm

    craigm, Dec 11, 2004
  6. Typhoid

    Typhoid Guest

    David Kinsell wrote...
    Thanks David.

    Reloaded the drivers (which were not reporting problems anyway), rolled
    back Windows to a restore point then (shock) reloaded Windows from
    scratch. No banana.

    Speaking to HP customer service, there are no user servicable components
    available to fix this problem. It sounds as if the motherboard needs to
    be replaced. Luckily the warranty is still valid.

    Taking it in on Monday.

    Typhoid, Dec 12, 2004
  7. Sorry you need to go through the hassle. The power circuits are generally
    fused with thermal fuses (which reset themselves when they cool off), or with
    separate chips that monitor current and shut down temporarily under software
    control. I haven't seen anybody use a manually resettable breaker, or socketed
    fuse to do it. So there's no real chance you could fix it by messing with the
    MB.

    -Dave

    David Kinsell, Dec 12, 2004
  8. Typhoid

    Typhoid Guest

    David Kinsell wrote...
    Kudos. Great service from the local (Western Australian) HP service
    centre (AWA Technology Services). Took it in Monday morning. Ready for
    collection Monday afternoon. Good work, guys.

    Typhoid, Dec 14, 2004