    completely. Anyway I'm stuck so if anyone has any ideas I'd be very
    grateful.
    TIA

    Anthropy, Feb 15, 2006

  2. Anthropy

    Rob Hemmings Guest

    Yep, remove *all* USB entries under Device Manager (ie Host
    controllers and Root hubs) then re-boot. If the ports are
    undamaged, XP should re-detect and re-install them (it also
    re-enumerates them, which is what seems to be needed.)
    Another thing to check with that board is the USB power
    jumpers. By default, they are set to +5VSB and use the
    +5V standby output of the PSU. As some PSU's can't supply
    enough current (2A is standard, ISTR), having lots of USB
    devices attached can cause problems. Unless you need power
    going to USB devices (eg to power-on by USB keyboard), it's
    probably best to change the jumpers to the +5V position, so
    that they use the normal +5V PSU output.
    HTH

    Rob Hemmings, Feb 15, 2006

  3. Anthropy

    Rob Hemmings Guest

    Yep, remove *all* USB entries under Device Manager (ie Host
    controllers and Root hubs) then re-boot. If the ports are
    undamaged, XP should re-detect and re-install them (it also
    re-enumerates them, which is what seems to be needed.)
    Another thing to check with that board is the USB power
    jumpers. By default, they are set to +5VSB and use the
    +5V standby output of the PSU. As some PSU's can't supply
    enough current (2A is standard, ISTR) - as each USB port
    can supply 0.5A, having 6 ports could theoretically use 3A.
    Unless you need power going to USB devices (eg to power-on
    by USB keyboard key), it's probably best to change some or
    all jumpers to the +5V position, so that they use the normal +5V
    PSU output.
    HTH

    Rob Hemmings, Feb 15, 2006
  4. Anthropy

    Anthropy Guest

    Hey Rob, many thanks, that did the trick. I removed all entries in
    Device Manager, scanned for hardware changes and after some grumbling
    and settling down I had USB back.
    Cheers, I owe you a pint.

    Anthropy, Feb 15, 2006