USB header housings for front panel case connectors

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Bob Flosse, May 23, 2004.

  1. Bob Flosse

    Bob Flosse Guest

    Hello:

    I am finishing up buiding a new PC for the roommate(A 8XGNXP 3,2ghz)
    and I have a question about the USB front panel connectors that come
    with new cases these days (In my case an Antec Lanboy).

    The Gigabyte board shipped with a rear header for the USB and 1394
    connections already wired and ready to plug into the MB and indeed
    they work.

    My question is with the setup on the front panel connection on the
    case. They terminated each pin it into individual housings and then
    you are supposed to plug these into the header row. Well that is
    proving to be a complete PITA as they just don't stay in. So I want to
    pull those out of the individual housings and use a normal housing.

    So one question I have is, is there a source to buy these housings
    somewhere? Also the connectors each have 5 wires coming out of them
    while the header rows only allow for 9 pins total. I see that 2 of the
    wires are ground connections, so I assume that I can eliminate some of
    these, but which ones? The ones that make up the shield ground or the
    one that is the logic(?) ground? My DVM shows a common ground between
    all of the ground wires so does it really matter?

    Thanks,

    Bob

    Bob Flosse, May 23, 2004