USB Keyboard and Boot Menu

Discussion in 'MSI' started by red floyd, May 11, 2007.

  1. red floyd

    red floyd Guest

    I recently replaced my old PS/2 connector keyboard with a MS Comfort
    Curve 2000. It's a USB keyboard.

    My mobo is an MSI K7t266 Pro2 (6380 v2). I have BIOS rev 3.7. In the
    BIOS, I have enabled all USB ports, enabled Legacy devices on USB port
    and enabled Port 60/64 emulation.

    I can get into the BIOS setup with this setup, but when the Windows 2000
    boot menu shows up, it does not recognize the keyboard, and will timeout
    to the default boot (Win2K).

    I cannot get to either the recovery console or to safe mode.

    Has anyone seen this, and do they have a fix/workaround, short of using
    a PS/2 keyboard?

    If I have to go on the PS/2 port, will a USB->PS2 adapter designed for
    mice work with a keyboard?

    Thanks

    red floyd, May 11, 2007

  2. red floyd

    Kyle Guest

    | I recently replaced my old PS/2 connector keyboard with a MS Comfort
    | Curve 2000. It's a USB keyboard.
    |
    | My mobo is an MSI K7t266 Pro2 (6380 v2). I have BIOS rev 3.7. In
    the
    | BIOS, I have enabled all USB ports, enabled Legacy devices on USB
    port
    | and enabled Port 60/64 emulation.
    |
    | I can get into the BIOS setup with this setup, but when the Windows
    2000
    | boot menu shows up, it does not recognize the keyboard, and will
    timeout
    | to the default boot (Win2K).
    |
    | I cannot get to either the recovery console or to safe mode.
    |
    | Has anyone seen this, and do they have a fix/workaround, short of
    using
    | a PS/2 keyboard?
    |
    | If I have to go on the PS/2 port, will a USB->PS2 adapter designed
    for
    | mice work with a keyboard?
    |
    | Thanks

    Funny, we just discussed this issue recently, a google search should
    yield answers. Try all the USB ports on your machine, see if that
    makes any difference. Seems legacy support does not always work as
    expected if the BIOS is still handling keyboard input. I have one
    mobo where some USB ports work and some don't with my USB wireless
    keyboard when booting up DOS, for example. The best answer is a PS/2
    keyboard resolves all such issues, and yes, it is without doubt that
    is not the answer you seek. Also, you can search the MS knowledge
    base, there is a good article there on how USB keyboards work during
    the various boot phases.

    Here's the MS article:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/usbcompat.mspx

    Kyle, May 11, 2007

  3. red floyd

    red floyd Guest

    Really weird. Problem resolved itself. Wonder if the USB ports take a
    moment to get their act together after a cold boot.

    Thanks for your help, Kyle.

    red floyd, May 11, 2007