    USB keyboard and mouse but she can't continue with the install because
    the keyboard or mouse don't work to select "Next"! :)

    What can she do?

    Dundonald, Oct 23, 2006

  2. Dundonald

    Tom Scales Guest

    Enable Legacy USB support in the BIOS, which should at least make the
    keyboard work and she can tab to Next.

    Should work.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Oct 23, 2006

  3. Dundonald

    Dundonald Guest

    Thanks Tom. How can she enter the bios without use of the keyboard? ;)

    Dundonald, Oct 23, 2006
  4. Dundonald

    Wayner Guest

    BIOS doesn't use windows.

    Ask her for the model of her PC then Google search on how to enter the PC's
    BIOS. Tell her how to do it. Job done. Unless she has knackered Windows.

    HTH.

    Wayner, Oct 23, 2006
  5. Dundonald

    BillW50 Guest

    Hahaha... sorry I know I shouldn't be laughing. :(

    But hahahaha.

    P.S. Tom & Wayner are both correct. :)

    P.S.S. Hahahaha

    BillW50, Oct 23, 2006

  6. The keyboard is still recognised until Windows boots.

    To invoke the BIOS set up screen, hit the f2 key repeatedly during boot up.
    That should produce a screen message - "now entering set-up" - or similar.

    Failing, that try the other function keys in turn, f1 to f12 until the
    message appears. Then enable USB support on the BIOS screen. Instructions
    on how to navigate the BIOS screen and change the settings via the
    keyboard - are at the bottom of the screen. USB may be on the second
    page - usually reached by pressing Ctrl P.

    michael adams

    michael adams, Oct 24, 2006
  7. Dundonald

    paulmd Guest

    Lemme guess, windows 98 or ME? You got an nasty one there. There are no
    good solutions to it, it's a complete lockout. If you got win2k or XP,
    no worries, just wait a few minutes.

    The one possible way out is a Serial Mouse.

    paulmd, Oct 24, 2006
  8. Dundonald

    Brian K Guest

    Out of interest, why would you guess windows 98 or ME on a very recent Dell
    with no PS2 port?

    Brian K, Oct 24, 2006
  9. Dundonald

    paulmd Guest

    Not a *very* recent dell, since the most recent ship with XP. But only
    98 and ME are vunlerable to this particular lockup. I've seen it on
    Pentium 3 gateway micro desktops with no PS/2 (ME) , and also the
    gateway all in one (98). If it's not a 98 or ME machine, i'll eat my
    hairpiece. It happens whten both keyboard and mouse are smapped out at
    once. It's evil.

    On 2000 and xp, usb mouse and keyboard are always silently auto
    detected. You don't get the "next" button for those devices. The worst
    scenario is a 60 second wait, while the keyboard and mouse are re
    detected.

    Also, the message tends to get garbled over the phone, user may not
    really know what they have, so they describe it, and the second person
    assumes. I've been bit by miscommunication a few times.

    paulmd, Oct 24, 2006
  10. Dundonald

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, but Dell "legacy-free" systems without PS/2, parallel, or serial ports are
    a recent phenomenon, coming along well after Windows 98/ME should have been put
    to rest, especially ME. It would take a real masochist to load 98/ME on a
    legacy free system. Despite past experience, it is a real stretch to think of
    98/ME on a Dell "legacy-free" system.

    I would speculate as to whether the USB ports were burned out on the OP's system
    by removal of keyboard and mouse from a running system. Shouldn't happen,
    but... If the system does not respond to an F2 key press to enter the BIOS,
    I'd have to guess that some hardware somewhere is faulty. With the typical
    Dell BIOS Quickboot option set on, it takes a very quick F2 key press indeed to
    keep the system from booting up Windows instead... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 24, 2006
  11. Dundonald

    paulmd Guest

    I've been paid to install 98 on systems that deserve better. There's
    plenty of masochists out there. :)

    Despite past experience, it is a real stretch to think of

    IF it's a DELL legacy free system, there were a few of these legacy
    free systems before the time for it to happen. Compaq iPaq is another
    that could have shipped with 98 or me. I'd REALLY want to hear from the
    OP as to what OS is on it, and if it's really a dell. I remember those
    gateways, and i remember that exact lockup, like a bad dream.
    It would take some doing... The whole point of USB keyboards and mice
    is hot swap. Also, there should be more than 1 usb controller.
    Shorting out the USB somehow might to it, maybe. You can get a similar
    thing happen if you miswire the front USB header.... nothing permanent.
    Need to hear from the OP on that, too. It could be the front usb
    miswired --a manufacturing screw up.... maybe. Luckily, i don't
    actually have a hairpiece to eat. :)

    paulmd, Oct 24, 2006
  12. Dundonald

    Brian K Guest

    DunDonald,

    Are you goint to let us know what sort of computer and what Operating
    System? Paul's hairpiece is still quivering.

    Brian K, Oct 25, 2006