    a bug in the Asus BIOS that would be corrected
    with a BIOS update? Thanks for any help you
    can give me.

    David Owens, Jul 30, 2004

  2. David Owens

    BigJIm Guest

    you could try uninstalling the usb ports and do a reboot
    could be a problem with the driver, since you said the mouse works on
    reconnect
    and of course make sure the usb port is turned on in the bios

    BigJIm, Jul 30, 2004

  3. David Owens

    Paul Guest

    You could try experimenting with "USB Legacy Support"
    in the BIOS. I'm not really sure whether your problem
    is related to OS support for your mouse, or this is
    a problem with device detection on the USB bus. Some
    USB problems, of the disconnect/reconnect type, appear
    to be power management related, but some people never
    manage to fix them. If the mouse works all the time
    after being plugged in, then it probably isn't
    power management related.

    http://www.rojakpot.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?Lang=0&bogno=227

    Maybe if you have installed a driver for the Logitech Trackball,
    that driver is interfering with the ability to have multiple
    pointing devices connected ? What happens if the Trackball
    driver is removed - can WinXP still get basic functionality
    from the Trackball ?

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 30, 2004
  4. David Owens

    Paul H Guest

    I have also encountered this problem, on another Asus mobo with a Targus USB
    mouse. It is inconsistent; sometimes it will work on boot up, other times
    it needs the unplug/replug.
    I have not solved it!

    Paul H, Jul 31, 2004
  5. David Owens

    Paul H Guest

  6. David Owens

    Paul Guest

    Hehe :)

    That description covers just about every malady that USB can have.
    How can their fix miss ? And, after all their tries to fix it in
    the past...

    And seeing as there is no download link for it, I guess we'll
    just have to play the lotto, and see if the "Microsoft Support
    Professional determines that a specific update will resolve
    your problem". Sounds like a great racket to be running.

    Reminds me of a few other software products I've bought,
    where each new release says on the box "enhanced stability".
    Well, what did I buy in the last release ?

    If you do try this patch, and it does _anything_ for you,
    please post back in a separate thread.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 7, 2004
  7. The fix has been available for some time.
    If you do a 'scan for updates', on the normal MS update site, it is listed
    under the XP updates (not as a critical update though), under the title:
    Recommended Update for Windows XP SP1 (KB822603)

    They have not bothered to update the earlier site, from when this was a
    'beta', and seem determined to not 'advertise' just how necessary this is
    on some systems...

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Aug 7, 2004