1. This forum section is a read-only archive which contains old newsgroup posts. If you wish to post a query, please do so in one of our main forum sections (here). This way you will get a faster, better response from the members on Motherboard Point.

USB over current change on boot

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Mark Healey, Jul 6, 2008.

  1. Mark Healey

    Mark Healey Guest

    When I boot I'm getting a "USB over current change" error on hub 1 both
    ports and the ports don't work.

    I disconnected everything from those ports and rebooted and got the same

    I was attaching and removing a bunch of things earlier, including a
    powered USB hub, so It is possible I smoked something, I suppose.

    Several questions.

    Since everything is disconnected I'm assuming that some kind of fuse or
    breaker went. Is there somewhere I could look for such a thing to
    replace or reset?

    Could it be the power supply?

    Could I have somehow applied too much current internally and caused
    something to short?
    Mark Healey, Jul 6, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  2. Mark Healey

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Well, strictly speaking USB ports are not supposed to
    have fuses, but I have seen both self-resettable
    polyfuses and conventional fuses. The latter would
    very likely be SMD and are pretty hard to replace.
    I don;t think so.
    Yes, possibly. There could be a shared fuse for the broken

    Arno Wagner, Jul 7, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  3. Mark Healey

    Mark Healey Guest

    It sounds like I need to buy a new mobo which sucks since I doubt they
    make my model any more, or a PCI USB card which will probably be hard to

    Mark Healey, Jul 7, 2008
  4. We don't even know what make or model, so the availability of advice regarding
    the locations of fuses or whatnot on the mystery board is rather limited.
    One of these? http://i25.tinypic.com/2rzzbwm.jpg
    I found it in an "obsolete" computer at a local used computer store's "drop off"
    area a few months back. And no, you can't have it.

    There's bound to be some in your area. Try your local Craigslist.
    This one's on mine: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/sys/743569177.html
    MasterBlaster, Jul 7, 2008
  5. Mark Healey

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Well, first, you can just live withoiut the two bad ports. Then
    you can get an USB port catd, they are cheap and widely available.
    You can alos post the mainboard model and make, _maybe_ the
    fusea rea identifiable.

    Arno Wagner, Jul 7, 2008
  6. Mark Healey

    Mark Healey Guest

    It took me several bootings to read the model on the screen. It's an
    ASUS A7V333.
    Mark Healey, Jul 8, 2008
  7. Mark Healey

    Mark Healey Guest

    It's an ASUS A7V333. I had to boot several times to read it from the
    I'll probably try Fry's first. They tend to have a pretty good selection
    of old stuff. I even found a PS/2 extender cable there once.

    Of course this might just be the gods' way of telling me to buy a shiny
    shiny new computer.
    Mark Healey, Jul 8, 2008
  8. Mark Healey

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Hmm. Best picture I found is at
    Still not good enough to be sure. I think the SMD fuse (small, likely
    green square) for the left USB block is directly to the left of the
    pink connector, verticcally in the middle of the green plastic L
    on its left. The fuse for the right USB connector seems to be
    directly below and a nit right of the larger round capacitor that is
    below the USB and the PS/2 port. Directly below and a bit ro the right
    is the jumper-block with two blue jumpers. There seems to also be
    ione directly to the right of the jumper block. Is so, one of these
    is likely for the PS/2 port, the other one for USB. Which is which
    is hard to tell. But the one you look for will be blown, whoch makes
    identification easier.

    If you can post some good detail photographes of these areas, I could
    tell you with higher certainity.

    If these are indeed the fuses, you can use an ohm-meter (or contact
    tester) to find out whether either one is blown. It may or may
    not be detectable visually.

    You can replace the fuses with any quick-acting 1A fuse. SMD
    would be more aestetically pleasing, bus doldering two wires to the
    blown fuse (no need to remove it) and use an in-the wire 20x5 mm,
    or the like, fue holder is fine.

    Arno Wagner, Jul 8, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.