    connected to, i.e., are not hubs ?

    Thanks,
    de Vince

    Vince, Jan 1, 2008

  2. Vince

    S.Lewis Guest

    Vinny -

    Apologies, but I don't understand the question. Spell it out for a redneck,
    will you?

    If your monitor has USB ports (my 1907FP has (4) ), then those ports are
    technically considered (via device manager) "a USB hub".....

    So connecting any device directly to your XPS front or back should be
    considered "not a hub".

    If that's what you're asking.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jan 2, 2008

  3. Vince

    Vince Guest

    Yes, Stew, I think you have answered me appropriately. I was not
    clear if either the front or rear ports are via a "hub". Obviously, I
    lack a good understanding of what an USB hub is vs a direct USB port.
    That said, I will stay clear of the monitor's USB hub ports.

    Actually, only my DELL wireless keyboard/optical mouse is at present
    connected via the monitor's USB hub. I have always connected my
    digital camera via one of the front USB ports and the rear USB ports
    are handling my EPSON scanner and my HP photo inkjet printer. I
    typically leave a cable connected at the front USB for use with my
    digital camera . Also, I normally leave a DELL flash drive at the
    second front USB port for simple backup of files from within a program
    application (e.g., MS Money, etc.) rather than handling multiple
    floppy discs to do the file backups.

    I think that I would do better by connecting the flash drive via the
    monitor's USB hub? since I may need to use a front USB port for the
    future USB-to-RS232 adapter. I will give that a try.

    From what you have said, I should have looked at Device Manager to
    answer my own question. So, that was a needed reminder/prompt.

    TNX.

    Vince

    Vince, Jan 2, 2008
  4. Vince

    S.Lewis Guest

    Vince -

    In theory, it shouldn't make any difference - but it sounds as if your
    device connection preferences are pretty common and not dissimilar to my
    own.

    I was marvelling at the number of USB ports I have available not long ago:

    - (4) front I/O ports
    - (4) rear system board ports
    - (4) rear controller card ports
    - (4) LCD monitor hub ports
    - (1) USB port via an HP PhotoSmart USB printer

    I even toyed with moving a flash drive on many of them just to verify that
    they work. ;-)

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jan 2, 2008