USB powers on and off

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Vince, Sep 7, 2004.

  1. Vince

    Vince Guest

    I have this intermittent issue where I hear this clicking sound and
    for a couple minutes, my usb keyboard and mouse don't work. Then you
    hear the clicking sound again and they start working again. Once this
    starts, it will keep on doing this until I shutdown and restart the
    PC.

    This is happening every 1 to 2 weeks at the moment. Config is:

    Asus A7N8X Deluxe PCB 2.0
    Windows XP
    Logitech USB Keyboard and mouse
    Lexmark USB printer

    The printer hardly is ever on so that is probably not the problem
    device(if its a USB device problem) and my mouse/keyboard is connected
    directly to the USB ports at the back of my box, not through a hub.

    My guess as to what is happening is for some reason there is not
    enough power being supplied to the devices so then it keeps on cycling
    the USB power on and off in the hopes of getting a proper power level.
    When you power down(and sometimes I have to power cycle the power
    supply itself), it fixes this issues until the next random event that
    causes this again.

    Any similar experiences?
    TIA

    Vince