USB problems with eeePC 1000H

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by TJ, Feb 4, 2009.

  1. TJ

    TJ Guest

    Hi

    I have bought an asus eeePC 1000H and for some reason even in linux and
    windows sometimes USB Sticks (Kingston) get errors (ie booting back
    track linux distro on usb stick sometimes goes really fast and others
    really slow).
    I did a dmesg when it boots slow and a lot of USB errors appear.

    On windows XP Proffesional copying files from hard disk to usb pendrive
    doesnt work.
    I have the latest bios (1305) installed.

    I've googled and only a post about it appeared (on asus site but no
    solution)

    Maybe I have to wait to a new release of bios or theres something i'm
    missing?

    Thanks in advance

    TJ, Feb 4, 2009

  2. TJ

    BillW50 Guest

    In TJ typed on Wed, 04 Feb 2009 17:38:47 +0100:
    Whoa! Wait! What are you trying to boot from an USB stick? As both
    Windows and Linux needs some work before they can boot from an USB
    stick. Only the Live versions of Linux (like Ubuntu and Puppy) works
    without problems on a stick without doing anything to them.

    As for why the USB sometimes boots slow... Well the EeePC 700 series has
    a BIOS setting called Installation and the toggles are Start and
    Finished. If you toggle to Start, the webcam gets turned off and the USB
    ports drops down to USB v1.1 speeds (12Mbps). I don't know if the 1000H
    acts the same way or not?

    --
    Bill
    2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

    BillW50, Feb 4, 2009

  3. TJ

    TJ Guest

    solved!!! it was the usb stick :)

    TJ, Feb 6, 2009
  4. TJ

    BillW50 Guest

    In TJ typed on Fri, 06 Feb 2009 17:33:36 +0100:
    Amazing! One of those cheap ones?

    BillW50, Feb 6, 2009
  5. TJ

    TJ Guest

    6 Euro -> 2gb Kingston DataTraveler

    TJ, Feb 6, 2009
  6. TJ

    BillW50 Guest

    In TJ typed on Sat, 07 Feb 2009 00:12:37 +0100:
    Damn! I have one of them too. I don't write to it much though.

    BillW50, Feb 6, 2009