    convertors...

    Anybody use a Sun workstation with a PS2 keyboard and/or mouse plugged
    into a USB/PS2 convertor? Does it all work OK?

    BertieBigBollox, Mar 3, 2008

  2. it doesn't sound suitable if it's PS/2 and you need USB.

    Cydrome Leader, Mar 3, 2008

  3. BertieBigBollox

    Rich Teer Guest

    Rich Teer, Mar 3, 2008
  4. Yes, I know the Sun workstations use USB.

    But, if you look here theres a PS2 to USB convertor which allows you
    to plug a standard PS2 Mouse/Keyboard into the adaptor which plugs
    into the USB on the workstation.

    I know this will work for PCs, Windows etc, but want to be sure it'll
    work on the Sun workstations before I make a costly mistake. (I know I
    could just buy one of these convertors to try it !!!)

    BertieBigBollox, Mar 4, 2008
  5. Yes. Agreed I could. :)

    Trouble is our customer wants a console on the machine. Also, its a
    military network so things like X Windows access are pretty tied
    down....

    BertieBigBollox, Mar 4, 2008
  6. Oops. Sorry heres the link to the Belkin USB adaptors :-

    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=360778

    BertieBigBollox, Mar 4, 2008
  7. Not really an answer, but maybe it helps:
    I've also used PS/2-USB converters for HP PA-RISC workstations and Apple
    PowerMac computers. They seem to work fine when connected to a PS/2
    KVM-switch with PS/2 keyboard and mouse.
    I also have some Sun equipment, but unfortunately not with USB so I
    can't test it with Sun workstations.

    Maurice Janssen, Mar 4, 2008
  8. BertieBigBollox

    Huge Guest

    Huge, Mar 4, 2008
  9. Yes. It SHOULD work but I'd like to be sure first...

    BertieBigBollox, Mar 4, 2008
  10. Cydrome Leader, Mar 4, 2008
  11. I tried one of these (not exact make but similar) and keyboard worked
    but mouse didnt.

    I assumed this may have been because the Sun expected a kbd and mouse
    in separate usb ports and couldnt handle them combo'd like this.

    BertieBigBollox, Mar 5, 2008
  12. The converter needs to map the Sun keybaord and mouse to two different HID
    devices; it is possible that the converter only maps the keyboard.
    No; the Type 7 keyboard include s HUb which can connect a mouse; it just
    needs to find th edevice and it doesn't care if they are all on one port.
    It just needs to see them as separate devices.

    Casper

    Casper H.S. Dik, Mar 5, 2008