    Does anyone know if this would be the case? Can my SmartPC be fixed?

    Regards
    Stephen

    Stephen Gilkes, Dec 14, 2005

  2. Stephen Gilkes

    S.Lewis Guest

    It would require a new system board to repair it, as the USB ports are built
    into the motherboard.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 14, 2005

  3. Could very well have shorted something out, how does the USB socket
    look? Are there any pieces of wire you can separate in there? [USB
    supplies are _supposed_ to be current limited, but many of them
    aren't, so you culd be shorting out the power supply.]

    You could probably find someone with a soldering iron to remove the
    existing USB sockets, to see if that helps. However, getting new ones
    to fit exactly might be difficult, and I don't know if you can live
    without USB...

    William P.N. Smith, Dec 14, 2005
  4. Stephen Gilkes

    S.Lewis Guest

    FWIW and if I'm correct, the "smartstep" was the initial bailout from the
    Dimension L chassis to the Mitac. Those models are entry entry level on a
    good day.

    I guess the OP will have to determine how much trouble and time he wishes to
    put into it.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 14, 2005
  5. Stephen Gilkes

    peterfelgate Guest

    It will be difficult to repair the socket, but if you can get at the
    pins check they haven't shorted - my GX110 reboots if the pins on its
    broken USB port happen to touch together. If this is the case, cut the
    pins carefully so they no longer short to get your PC working again.
    I'm not familiar with the SmartPC, but if it takes PCI cards, consider
    putting a cheap USB card in; you then can get USB 2.0 if your machine
    was limited to USB 1.1....

    peterfelgate, Dec 15, 2005
  6. Hi

    I must confess that this SmartPC has been nothing but trouble. The CPU fan
    sounds like a hair-dryer and seems to be constantly on and now with this USB
    problem....

    I'm not sure whether to bin in and buy another.

    Stephen

    Stephen Gilkes, Dec 15, 2005
  7. Thanks. I will check the pins. I dont think I could use PCI cards as the
    computer is a laptop.

    Perhaps there are PCMCIA USB sockets.

    Stephen Gilkes, Dec 15, 2005
  8. Stephen Gilkes

    S.Lewis Guest

    Ah ...... yes, there was a notebook "smartstep" model(s) as well......

    With that in mind, yes, perhaps a PC card will work. Sorry I misunderstood.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 15, 2005
  9. Well, today I went back to my laptop to see if I could get it to start and
    it started the first time I pressed the on button.

    I won't tempt fate and use the USB sockets again but do you think it is
    possible to order replacement sockets?

    Stephen Gilkes, Dec 20, 2005
  10. Well I've ordered some replacement USB sockets from Maplin and they look
    like they could fit.

    Does anyone know where I can download an assembly manual or something
    similar for the SmartPC 250N?

    Stephen Gilkes, Dec 22, 2005