usb va-503+

Discussion in 'FIC' started by Paawel, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. Paawel

    Paawel Guest

    Hello

    I have a VA-503+ mainboard (win2k, AMD-K6 500 MHz). I wanted to
    install driver so I could use a USB connector. I downloaded program
    usbf108 and tried to install it. After all required steps 1. double
    click at setup icon 2. click "next" 3. click next with chosen "install
    filter driver": first I was waiting for many minutes and nothing
    happened - when I tried to shut down this application there appeared a
    dialog box which said that installation was not complete - but it took
    so long I decided to close it nevertheless. When I tried to install it
    again, after all these steps another dialog box appeared: "can't
    change original INF file". Then I uninstalled this program 1. double
    click at setup icon 2. click "next" 3 click next with chosen
    "uninstall filter driver", restarted my computer and tried to install
    program again. Then I saw familiar dialog box which said "can't change
    original INF file".

    What should I do?

    ps: (what is a usb riser?)

    Paawel, Sep 23, 2003

  2. Paawel

    Robert Akins Guest

    OK, I don't remember if usbf108.exe is compatible with Windows 2000 or not.
    Did you have the USB enabled or disabled when you tried the installation?
    You might want to try again but shut down any programs that run in the
    background first. In answer to your last question, a USB riser was a rear
    case bracket with a PCB attached, with 2 USB connectors and some filters and
    other components (I have never really seen one in person) with a plug that
    mates with the USB header on the 503+. This was sold by FIC for a
    relatively short time, but is not necessary because the same function can be
    performed by a generic USB cable/bracket as long as the connector matches
    the pinout of the USB header on the board. The Belkin USB bracket is known
    to work with no problems, and there are several others available.
    Robert

    Robert Akins, Sep 25, 2003