    When I try iChat, I get "Your camera is in use by another application".

    On googling, I found that macam might help. However, that shows

    Any suggestions ?

    Geico Caveman, Aug 7, 2009

  2. http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.ioxperts.com/products/webcamx.html
    http://www.mac-compatible-web-cam.com/

    If your cam isn't one the list of any in these sites, guess you're SOL.
    Buy one that "just works" next time.

    Michael Vilain, Aug 7, 2009

  3. Geico Caveman, Aug 7, 2009
  4. There's "detected" and there's "it works with the software". Being a
    caveman, you may not know the difference.

    The hardware can be "found" or recognized by MacOS X, meaning that the
    device shows up in the filesystem. But how do you _use_ the hardware?
    That's what device drivers are for. If MacOS X doesn't have a device
    driver for the thing, someone else will have to provide one. If the
    manufacturer didn't, then a 3rd-party or _you_ will have to provide it.

    The above sites give you information on various drivers which may or may
    not be supported by your hardware. If they aren't, you'll have to write
    your own to get the software to use the device. Otherwise you have a
    testing device suitable for asertaining the local gravitational constant.

    Michael Vilain, Aug 8, 2009

  5. It appears to me that you could have addressed the bit about UVC
    compliance without descending into these ad homineums. But being a
    caveman, I could hardly be expected to know better.

    Geico Caveman, Aug 8, 2009
  6. Geico Caveman

    Tim Murray Guest

    I have one that behaves like that in one USB port, but not the other.

    Tim Murray, Aug 8, 2009
  7. Geico Caveman

    Warren Oates Guest

    Well, you shouldn't have picked such a stupid nickname, should you? I
    bet you think it's clever.

    Warren Oates, Aug 8, 2009
  8. Geico Caveman

    Mike Dee Guest

    At the above sourceforge macam link, and in regards to USB webcams on the
    Mac in general, it states:

    (note: iChat does not recognize most USB webcams unless you install
    iChatUSBCam - this is shareware unrelated to macam)

    It also gives a link to that shareware site:
    <http://ecamm.com/mac/ichatusbcam> US$9.95.

    HTH

    Mike Dee, Aug 9, 2009
  9. Geico Caveman

    Michael C. Guest

    I think I read of a bug at one point that some usb devices don't
    respond after the computer wakes from sleep. I was researching a
    keyboard problem on my mbp. I've had no problems with the
    keyboard attached to my mini, but I recently got a cheap webcam,
    that suffers the same problem. Disconnecting the USB cord and
    plugging it back in appears to work.

    HTH & GL

    Michael C.
    --
    http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    A pessimist always wins.
    He is either wrong (which is good), or he has the satisfaction
    of being right.

    Michael C., Aug 10, 2009

  10. Thanks to everyone who responded.

    I installed iChatUSBCam trial. Now I get a black screen.

    The webcam is perfectly fine, and works beautifully in Linux.

    Geico Caveman, Aug 11, 2009