    Has anyone gotten USB to work ok for
    example,for external hard drive support on a Presario vintage 16xx?

    Any info much appreciated.

    netaddikt, Aug 26, 2005

  2. netaddikt

    Phil Schuman Guest

    Are you running Win95b or OS/2 -

    I have USB support via Win98se -
    USB support was added into SE,
    but I still need to load the driver for each device.
    All this is included in XP.

    Phil Schuman, Aug 26, 2005

  3. netaddikt

    Phil Schuman Guest

    ahh - forgot the Win95 naming convention -
    I should drag out my win95b box and try it with one of my thumb drives -
    ---
    Although Windows 95 OSR2 technically supports USB, only Windows 98se
    comes with full support. If the manufacturer of the device says that
    Windows 98se is required, Windows 95b is most likely not supported. If
    you're not sure, you can always try it and see if the drivers will
    install.

    Phil Schuman, Aug 26, 2005
  4. netaddikt

    Andrew Guest

    : : > Has anyone gotten USB to work ok for
    : > example,for external hard drive support on a Presario vintage 16xx?
    : >
    : > Any info much appreciated.

    : Are you running Win95b or OS/2 -

    : I have USB support via Win98se -
    : USB support was added into SE,

    Actually USB support was added, in theory, in Win95 OSR2, but I've
    heard functionality is marginal. However, I used a Win98FE (First
    Edition) box for a while and got most USB I tried to work without
    issue. You don't have to be on Win98SE to use USB.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Aug 27, 2005
  5. USB under Windows 95 is flakey as hell, and I'm just talking about
    straight USB 1.x. I'm not aware of any USB 2 drivers for Windows 95.
    Many of the USB 2 drivers for Windows 98 are WDM model drivers, which
    means that they won't even work under Windows 98 1st edition, but rather
    only 98SE.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 27, 2005
  6. You are correct. The USB 1.x support in 98 (1st edition) is just fine.
    However, many (but not necessarily all) USB 2 adapters (host adapters)
    that have Windows 98 support have WDM drivers, which only work on 98SE.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 27, 2005
  7. netaddikt

    * * Chas Guest

    | Has anyone gotten USB to work ok for
    | example,for external hard drive support on a Presario vintage 16xx?
    |
    | Any info much appreciated.

    There are several USB updates for Win95B OSR2.

    Win95 had several other flavors:

    Win95B OSR2.01 USB Support

    Win95C USB Support.

    The later Win95 OSR versions had all the fixes that came out in Win98
    without some of the bells and whistles. I still have an old system
    running Win95B OSR2.01. I installed a bunch of features from Win98SE and
    they work fine. Win98 had a bunch of problems that were fixed with
    Win98SE.

    Here's the Readme file from the MS USB Update USBSUPP.EXE or
    USBSUPP.ZIP:

    ------------------
    Microsoft Windows 95 README for Microsoft Windows
    October 1996
    ---------------------------
    HOW TO INSTALL THIS PRODUCT
    ---------------------------

    In order to install Universal Serial Bus support on a PC, Windows 95
    version 950B must be running.

    This can be determined by checking the version of Windows by right
    clicking on "My Computer" and selecting properties. The general tab
    will show the Windows version. If it lists the system as 4.00.950B
    this product can be installed safely on your PC.
    NOTE:
    If your version of Windows is not 4.00.950B the PC will not accept
    the USB files and fail to install. No harm will be encountered by the
    system from trying to install USB support.

    To install this product:

    1. Start Windows Explorer.
    2. Click on the A: drive to display the contents of the floppy disk.
    3. Double click on USBSUPP.EXE

    There was also an update that came out later: 240075UP.EXE which
    addressed a lot of different USP problems in Win98 and supposedly Win95B
    and C.

    If you can't locate these files, E-mail me and I'll send them to you.

    [email protected]_spamski(aol.com)ski (remove the polish to send)

    Chas.

    * * Chas, Aug 27, 2005